What percentage of the time do you take your child to the doctor for illness?

Do you have any 'criteria' for taking them or do you just take them for any symptom?

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 4:45 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• We hardly ever do. Most of the time I can treat whatever it is at home (diarrhea, vomiting, etc.). If vomiting persists for 2 days or more, fever that lasts more than 3 days, pain that can't be explained, coughing that doesn't go away for over a week, diarrhea that lasts more than 7-10 days (although viruses can run that long). It just depends. Most of the time I can call my doc and he'll tell me what to do over the phone.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Once I have tried everything I know, then they go.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Mine rarely go unless it is serious. I am so far from being a first time mom and I dont worry as much as I used to. They have to have had a fever over 100.5 for more then 24 hours before I bother to even call the nurse. 90% of the time I try to get them to just call in medication. For instance my dd was sick with the flu in Feb and we never went into the office. We did go to the ER when the office was closed and her fever spiked again but I knew something else had happened and it was in fact trhe flu and a double ear infection.

Answer by gemgem at 4:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If he's running fever and I'm not able to bring it down, or if he's not able to keep anything down. Or if he stays under the weather for more than a few days.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I talk with my mom first and take her advice then I'll call the doctor.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It all depends, If they have a cold we try to work on it 1st, If they cant get rid of it then we go in. Also if my youngest son has a nasty cough we go, he has asthma and develops bronchitis once a year. DD is only 4 months. normally we call the Dr 1st and see what they reccomend
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 5:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• for my oldest i take her more, but she has 3 CHD so we have to be careful... that being said, besides scheduled appointments my oldest has been to the dr 4 times and she will be 4 years old next month. My middle baby has been to the dr 2 times more than scheduled and she will be 3 in october... my baby has never been except her normal appointments, but she's only 4.5 months! lol!
    so... no i don't run it all the time at all
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If nothing I do is working, THEN I'll take her. Most things, though, are treatable at home. If there's blood, I seriously consider my options. If I can't stop the bleeding, as well as using Second Skin, disinfectant, and stirry strips, I'll take her to the ER. If I'm pretty sure it'll require surgery, I'll take her to the ER. So, maybe 1% of the time.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If I can't get the fever to break after alternating Tylenol and Motrin and they have had the fever for more than 2 days.....doctor. Ear infection....doctor. Pain....doctor. Wheezing in the chest....doctor. I will try everything I can first, but if I'm not making progress or it gets worse then they go to the doctor.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• As for percentage of the time......I don't think any of my kids have been to the doctor because they were sick in at least 4 years.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:26 AM on May. 19, 2011