How do i discipline my child when misbehaving in school?

since school started my child has three out of five days in the week where he gets his folder signed for the same things; not following directions, not using his time wisely and so much talking. now he's distracting other kids from learning. he is not violent and he is respectful. every day he is written up he gets tv, go cart, computer and games taken away and get him to practice writing his numbers and name and other things that was taught during school-nothing seems to work. i don't want to spank him but im out of ideas. please help!

maria141

Asked by maria141 at 5:16 PM on May. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Instead of taking them away make him earn time to use them. Once I switched to making my ds earn his time on computer and for the tv he really changed his behavior.
    Anonymous

• I guess I should mention how he eans them.

For every so many days of good reports he earns computer and tv time on weekends only.
    Anonymous

• Spanking after the fact does not work, you keep up what your doing this is a process over a period of time, keep at it and come up with new things he really likes to take away, he will eventually understand that it has got to stop.

Answer by older at 5:23 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Also reward good behavior too, tempt him with something he really wants....

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I use a reward system. My 6 yr old has some problems early in the school year (shes in kinder). So what I did was tell her she got $5 a week as an allowance but it was based on behavior. So if she is bad at school then she loses $1. It is her choice to save her dollars or buy something daily. Usually she wants a cheap $1 toy or a drink or an ice cream, so when she is bad, it is almost like instant karma for her. I go into the store and get myself a drink and she has no money because she was bad.

Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with earning tv computer and game time but there will eventually be natural consequences at school for his behavior as well if he continues to disrupt the class he will get sent to the office or whatever it is they do there.. He needs to be aware that those exist as well as discipline at home.. Cuz a folder signing alone hasnt ever effected my kids behavior.. two days lunch detention did though..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 5:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My sons is similar to yours, only I don't get daily reports. I keep wondering if he has ADHD like his sister. I did have him evaluated a year ago, but I'm thinking that I should have the school evaluate him for ADHD as well as some of the learning disabilities that often look like ADHD.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:52 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i agree with earning tv and computer time
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 2:28 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Also reward good behavior too, tempt him with something he really wants
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 2:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• learning = earning thats our motto
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:53 PM on May. 21, 2011