My 3yr. old

Do you mom's teach or have your little ones clean up after them selfs? Like their plate, toys etc. Do they do it or get mad?

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 5:30 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We started giving my 5 1/2yro SMALL chores when she was 3. Like, picking up her towel after bath time, helping to put toys away, putting her dish in the sink, etc. At that age they should be able to do one step chores... If your child gets mad about it you should try explaining why you need their help, and offering to do the chore with them. Tell them how big of a help they are and how proud you are of them. I dont think at 3 they are really ready for a reward system yet, though, we started that just now at 5. Good luck :)
    Natasha31488

Answer by Natasha31488 at 5:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my dds (3 and 5) clean up their kitchen messes (plates etc.) always. they usually do it without being asked too. (awesome, i know!) but when it comes to cleaning up their toys its a whole other story! i have to either help them or sit there and watch them til its done...but we make it known that they are expected to clean up after themselves
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 5:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes. My little one is 13 months and we have taught her things she can do by herself. After eating, I give her a we wet wipe and tell her to clean up and she wipes her hands and mouth and then the table in front of her. She doesn't do a very good job yet, but she is having that quality instilled in her early.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 5:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm a expecting mom and I have no other children. But I have had lots of experience with kids and I always make them clean up there stuff. I feel like it's teaching them good values to learn that they just can't throw everything around and not pick it up. Most of the times they did it but if they did not then I would surely discipline them by standing them in the corner for a minute or two and making them think about why you want them to clean it up. I was a substitute teacher, babysitter and a teacher for my old church. Hope this helps.
    wolf_angel_81

Answer by wolf_angel_81 at 7:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I slowly taught my DDs to pick up. but now dd1 is 7 and dd2 is 5 my lo is 2. I yell at girls and he hurrys to help so mommy will shut up! Yelling at kids is not okay so don't give me a lecture. I just run out of options.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:29 PM on May. 18, 2011