5 year old/Booster questions.

My daughter is 4ft tall and weighs 55lbs. Shes a very big 5yro :) Please dont bash me if Im doing this wrong, I am here to learn and will gladly take suggestions.

My question is this: I have her in a Harmony backless booster, I have my 2yro, (26-27lbs) in a SKR RF, and I have a 3mo old (15+lbs) in an infant carrier (obviously RF also) , we have a 2001 Mazda Protoge, obviously its a very tight fit 3 across and such a small car. We cant afford a better car right now, we would eventually like to get a minivan. Anyways my question is is this a good fit for my 5yro? I feel horribly guilty that she isnt in a 5pt harness because I know its better for them, but we have tried and CANT fit a 5pt in, unless we got her a SKR, but 1) we dont have the $ right now, and 2) it would only last her another 10lbs. Like I said, she is a big girl, at only 5 1/2, I think she would outgrow it really quickly, but maybe I can reuse it for my infant once she does, but then there is #3)-- the fuss about the latch system with the SKR really worries me, I dont want to spend more $ on a seat where the manufacturers are liars and terrible customer service.

Please help. Is it ok that she is in a backless booster? Does it seem like she is big enough to stay safe? What other possibilities are there when I have a VERY tight budget??

Natasha31488

Asked by Natasha31488 at 5:30 PM on May. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, a correct fitting booster has more to do with the size (weight/height) of the child than actual age.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, but thats why I included her height and weight.
    Natasha31488

Comment by Natasha31488 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would get her a graco nautilus where she can be harnessed to 65 lbs which should give her that extra 10th lbs which would be another year. Then put her in it as a high back boater then it turns into a backless. That i's just my take on it. I would keep her harnessed as long as you can. The seat i's fairly slim and will keep her safer.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We have the graco nautilus for my 4 year old (soon to be 5 year old) son. He is big for his age-- wears size 6-7. His doctor's appointment is tomorrow so I can get a height and weight then, but I know that while he still weighs (~58 lbs) little enough that he could fit in the harness, he has grown past the harness straps so they would be below his shoulders rather than above. We converted it to the HBB a few months ago for that reason.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Hmmm . . . it cut off the last part of the reply. I told you that because I feel incredibly guilty about it too, but I couldn't really stop feeding the kid. He is just build like his dad. Tall and skinny. I prefer a HBB at this point just because I feel it gives some added protection.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• By SKR, do you mean the Sunshine Kids one? From what I read about it, they can do 5pt harness up to 80lbs. My 4yo is in a backless booster, but I am considering buying the Sunshine one.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 6:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Based on that she's almost the same size as my almost 11 yo (she's 4'3" and 55lbs) and she's been in a backless booster for years (they don't fit right in our truck with the backs on them).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son & daughter are both in backless boosters. My son is 5 and my daughter is 6. They've been in those since age 4.
    12mommy3

Answer by 12mommy3 at 10:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• So long as the seat fits both child and car, you're doing great. We could all be spending fortunes on the safest seats and cars, but that's not realistic.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• graco nautlis is a good one
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 2:25 PM on May. 19, 2011