Will semi-permanent hair dye wash out completely?

I wanted to do a rainbow in my hair, but some mamas on here wisely talked me out of it, due to the upkeep required for it. SO.

I'm thinking just doing some green in there lol.

But I'm having a handfasting in September and I want my natural haircolor for that... but my sister will be visiting from out of state and I want to do it while she's here (I pick her up tomorrow).

Will the hair color wash completely out of my hair by September?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:38 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• it should. however, i can also tell you that a semi-perm color may not show up very well on your hair if it is a level 4-5 brown, unless you have porous parts that are lighter and drier.
    there are some fun-colors in sallys that will give you a good time, and they are supposed to be semi-permanent..they more or less sit on top of the hairshaft, rather than penetrate, and should wash out.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i'm going to say no...its says semi-permenant because a lot of it will wash out but it wont be removed completely like a temporary dye will.
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 5:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Right... is there a temporary dye that isn't a spray that will make my hair stiff and gross?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When I color my hair black, I use semipermanent color. It fades out after a couple of months or so. I don't know about the green though. But my guess it would be gone by Sept. I colored my hair the middle of March and it has faded completely.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• ManicPanic has some very pretty greens..'electric lizard' or 'enchanted forest' might be to your liking.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Here's me, Dull.  This pic makes my hair look a little bit darker than it is.  Probably a whole shade.

If it lightened the chunks I dyed first would it work? Would that look terrible when it washed out?  I'm not talking about bleaching to platinum, just lightening by a couple shades so the green can take hold better.

Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• you could, but if you don't lighten it to a pale blonde, the 'color' isn't as true as it could be...that's the trick. i'd suggest using only the product first on a test strand (a strip of hair about the width of your pinky, applied from root to ends) taken underneath, or from behind your ear, and see how it goes. then, if you want a truer shade of color, pre-lighten then color where you want the color to actually be placed. better safe than sorry.
    you have plenty of time between now and september to figure out how much and which color to use. have fun with it. pre-bleaching can get wacky, though. however, you can always reapply as the color fades, without having to bleach again...so its not all bad, just committed. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• also, you might want to check the color out online (sally.com)..some colors aren't available in-store, of course. and they run about $9-10.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Sweet! You've been such a great help :) Thanks a million!
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on May. 18, 2011