How did you get rid of the pacifier?

My daughter is almost 2 and I feel like I need to get rid of the pacifier...any words of advice, greatly appreciated!

jennblayne

Asked by jennblayne at 9:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that was a hard thing here. My dd was 3. They were all just old finally with holes. and I didn't buy more. other than that not sure what to say. I think I was too much of a push over about it. But prob the best way is to just throw them out? Have fun:o)

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Kids are funny about there being holes in the pacifiers...I cut little slits in my sons pacifier,he didnt like it,so he kept spitting it out & then finally he just gave up on them
    amanda2780

Answer by amanda2780 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• what amanda did worked for metoo. I cut a tiny slit in each binkie and then when he would try and suck on it it would collapse . he hated it and it really pissed him off, but he gave them up in just a couple of days.GL
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I am suffering from this problem also. I think I will try the slit in the pacifier thing but keep a back up just in case it doesn't work.
    Mz_Lady1978

Answer by Mz_Lady1978 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Personally, i think its horrible to cut them. As long as they have them around the house i dont see what the big deal is. They are to little to understand why they can have it one day then you talk it away. I would make the binkie and at home only thing then slowly make it a "night night" thing. Really, no one will ever ask you how long you took a bottle or binkie. You don't have ot put it one a future resume or kindergarden registration so whats the big deal if they suck on it at home. It just provides needed comfort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have the same problem....DD is 2 and everybody's like. "you need to get rid of that pacifier before her teeth look horrible...." I personally don't care...only when she's lost it and acts like a madwoman!!! DS sucks one, too, and if I get rid of hers, she'll only take his!!! Plus, her dentist says that I don't have to take it until she starts losing teeth...LOL!!
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• To funny Jenn because i am having the same issue with Juliana. Being a hygienist I hate that she still has it, but they say to get rid of it by 2. I am not sure how to get rid of it either so keep me posted if anything works...good luck
    rubi

Answer by rubi at 8:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• this may sound mean, but i cut the nipple part off. i told her they were broken n there weren't anymore at the store. It worked!!! She started saying she's a big girl n no more pacifiers because they broke.
    Aneq

Answer by Aneq at 1:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I just threw them all in the trash. We had a pretty fussy nap time the first day without them. She only had them at nap, bedtime and in the car anyways...but she fussed a lot and finally went to sleep. After that she was fine without. Completely forgot about it. That first nights bedtime was great, she went right down without it. We also took it away at a year, so she was still in her crib and had other things to help get her to sleep...like her mobile. We are planning on tossing them at a year with our son too, maybe earlier.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2008