My 3 yr old son refuses to go on the potty at all, any ideas on how to get him on the potty ?

Gina91207

Asked by Gina91207 at 5:44 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Gummy worms/bears! Tell him he may have half a worm if he sits and tries, two worms if he pees. This is how we got DS on the pot. I first started him sitting to brush his teeth in the mornings. Then moved to a flintstone vitamin when he sat in the morning, then, as he got more and more defiant to go, I tried the worms. We've done worms, bears, mint, and now we're on dumdum suckers.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with a small bribe or a treat but here are some other ideas as well: See if he will stand and aim and shoot instead with a cheerio or some other flushable target to get his interest. My DS never liked sitting on the potty, he only did after he got into the shooting part. Did you pick out the potty seat or did he? Let him go to the store with you and pick out his own--doesn't have to be a fancy seperate one-he just might prefer sitting on Disney Cars and because it was his choice it might empower him. Get a few things (or make a few things) that make the bathroom a more interesting place. I put some removable decals on the wall with fish when my son told me the potty was scaring. Also, some kids are afraid of flushing noises which make them want to avoid the room all together. Go to the library and get a book to read on the potty together--even if he sits on the floor next to the potty the first few reads.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:35 AM on May. 19, 2011