Still having clotting and bright red bleeding 5 days post partum normal?

I'm changing the heavy duty pads (not the diaper ones that the hospital gives you, but just the thick ones from the store) every few hours and that's only because I'm trying not to use too many of them. I could probably change it every 2 hours. From what I could find online it seems like it should be tapering off more by now. I honestly can't remember how the bleeding was with my son, and am wondering if because I was a VBAC if that would have anything to do with bleeding more? Is this something I should call my OB about?

ours

Asked by ours at 5:44 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your fine i bled for 2 months, doc said its normal for some. if u breast feed ull bleed more but itll shorten it.
    Susannah19

Answer by Susannah19 at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Trip it i's normal. I bled for a few months afterwords and heavily for a couple of weeks.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Ok cool. Ya I'm breastfeeding so maybe that's part of the reason why. Guess I'll just be feeling gross for a while!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 5:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• if you're nursing, your uterine contractions are stronger and you bleed more heavily- but usually for a shorter time. I got my first postpartum period around 5 weeks... so, I went from lochia to period. It sucked! Even though I exclusively breastfed, I still got my periods immediately.

Just take it easy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• After I had my son, I bled for 6 weeks. I was breastfeeding also so it was pretty bad. But yeah, its completely normal!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 6:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Just make sure you are taking it easy, the fact that you are still bleeding heavily means you need to be off your feet and resting as much as possible. Your body has been thru a lot and needs time to recover.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• EVERYONE is different, remember that....all pregnancies are different....I personally bleed for over a month...I have c-sections you'd think they'd empty me out better! hahah unless your scar tore from the v-bac and you are in massive abdominal pain, I would say you are fine and just going with the flow....no pun intended LOL
    If you DO have abdominal pain by your incision I would call the ob and just get checked out. The bright red blood usually indicates an open wound and not uterine blood.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 8:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• for sure normal. just making up for the glorious lack of periods the last nine months :/

congrats on your new sweetheart :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:22 PM on May. 19, 2011