2 years old and going to restraunts?

So occassionaly me and my husband like to just go out for dinner but problem is my son always seems to get very cranky and irritable when we go to a set down restraunt. He will say i'm done and want to get up and play and will cry or throw a fit til we leave. Any suggestions on how to make things easier? I have brough crayons and color pages, cars, snacks and nothing seems to work? What do you do?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 5:48 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bOught a portable DVD player , it's the best entertainment and keeps them quiet
    Gina91207

Answer by Gina91207 at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Dvd player is a great suggestion, and it should work perfectly.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• babysitter!
    consider it a date night.
    if that's not an option, and you try the dvd player and it doesn't work, i'm out of ideas.
    good luck.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 6:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• dvd player is a great idea, but our youngest just couldn't sit still that long. His brother was the total opposite. So we learned to go to more casual places with faster service and often got a sitter. He eventually grew out of it but in the meantime we were the ones who had to adjust to his personality.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I know you said you have tried certain toys... But I'd try a take along bag that has toys in it that he is only allowed to play with at the restraunt. For example, markers, play-doh, stickers. Then buy small things and add new toys to the bag, so that the next time you are out there will be a new surprise in the bag and he'll be excited to see what the new item is.

I personally let my son "play with" the sugars and things on the table... this may not seem appealing to you, but it works. We create games to play with each item. For example, with the jellies... we stack them. I tell him to stack as many as he can without letting them fall. With the sugars... we play "crash". It would be similar to playing with toy cars but since it's something different that he doesn't have at home he likes to play with them.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 9:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Also... order ASAP. When the waiter/waitress comes for your drink order. Order his kid's meal. I usually ask for crackers. But I know you said you bring snacks. Allow him to eat his meal while you order yours and/or enjoy an app/salad/soup. While you are eating your dinner, let him eat dessert. Make sure you tell the waiter/waitress to bring your bill as soon as you are sure you are done ordering everything. Usually my moto is, Get in and get out... If you are lucky and your son is behaving well, stay and teach him to sit for a longer period of time. And good luck... I have a 26 mth old and go through this often.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 10:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Get some wiggles out before you go. A young child going from the car to a sit down meal is bad news. Take him for a walk around the parking lot or stop at the park first. Go when HE will be hungry, not you. Its amazing what kind of apps you can download for your phone now for toddlers and how quickly they can be entertained. DVD player also a good move. Crayons are tough at this age, doesn't last that long. I used to bring my son's stuffed toy and tell him he was responsible for the toys good behavior--waitress thought it was nuts when the turtle needed a place setting, but it helped. Get up between courses and take him outside, even the best child can't sit still indefinitely.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:47 AM on May. 19, 2011