• In the Spotlight:

What is that stuff called that they rub on your baby's eyes at birth just in case the mother has gonnoreah (sp?)

I found out they rub this in babies eyes because they could go blind if the mother has gonnoreah (sp) Sorry. But I don't like that stuff and before they rub it in a baby's eyes they need to tell us, don't you think? I don't have any disease and therefore there would be no point in that. It caused my son to have clogged tear ducts for the longest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its called Silver Nitrate and im not getting it put into my daughters eyes, there have been bad side effects from it. my doctor already knows and agrees with me.

my nieces and nephews did not get it either.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm pretty sure my son didn't get it. His very first pictures were all with his eyes open. I saw him about and hour after he was born and he didn't have that gunk in his eyes. I'm glad too. I didn't want it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Are you sure its because of gonorrhea? I think that would be ridiculous especially since they test every mother beforehand and what about the married women? Actually, I think it is pretty insulting if that is the real cause, but from what I've heard, I thought that it was chlamydia that caused blindness in babies? I never heard that about gonorrhea. I'm going to have to google it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• This is what I found:
    "The medicine put in all babies' eyes at the time of delivery is done to prevent this neonatal conjunctivitis, but if a baby should have redness of the conjunctiva with discharge and tearing in the first week or two of life, they should certainly be evaluated by their pediatrician or primary care physician."
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm not sure lol but it's one of those STD's. Either way i'm STD free and they should have asked me and yes. it is an insult especially since they do test you and still do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You CAN decline the eye goo. You just have to tell them ahead of time. It's standard procedure for every newborn (though I think it should NOT be). My son did not get it. You just have to be informed of the hospital's policies and procedures, so you can know what you want and don't want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2008