When is a good time to share the name?

So i had my 18wk u/s the other day and the tech confirmed twice that its a girl :) me and dh have a name picked out and ive told my family but i was wondering when should i share her name to friends? For some reason i feel weird sharing it but on the other hand i really wanna share her name lol im a first time mom so should i wait a couple weeks or go ahead and share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Share now, share your excitement.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I shared with a guy co-worker when I was about 30 weeks. I won't make that mistake again.... When I told him we were going to name her Mya he rudely said... MYA???? That's a terrible name. You can't name her that! What about the name Paige? ect....

I also told my mom with the last 2x and she didn't like either name. I remember quite clearly that she mocked my dd names when we mentioned it. She said they would tease her with that name. So I told her this time (im 16 weeks) that I wasn't going to tell her until he is born so that way she can't complain. she was offended but i didn't care. After all, she offended me by making fun of the names in the first place. So, in my experience its better for me to keep it to ourselves.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well, after 4 kids and HUNDREDS of names, I have decided that if we have another child, we will not be sharing any names we might have in mind with anyone. Before, especially with my second and third, all my favorite and most loved names were shot down not by my DH, but by my MIL!!! I was so mad about it too, but once she said she didn't like it, or "that sounds like one of those Chinese names, or maybe a rag head" or "what are you, a mexican???" (and yes, she actually said those things to me), after those comments, my DH would fall out of love with the name and move on to something else. We didn't even decide on a name with our 4th until after he was born! We were frantically trying to work out a name when they brought in the birth certificate papers for me to fill out! lol So there really was no time for family approval on that one, which suited me just fine.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We tell them as soon as we find out we are pregnant. If it is a girl it will be this and if it is a boy it will be this. We have never really worried about anyone's opinion besides our own. If someone doesn't like it then oh well and they can get used to the name in the meantime.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:08 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When the baby was born we told family. I wouldn't tell ahead of time because it was something special between husband and me...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We told when baby was born - everyone got the same phone call - "baby's here, it's a _____, __ lbs __ oz, his/her name is _______ ________". I never would have considered "sharing" the name before baby was born.
    Anonymous

• We told the name of my first right after we decided on a name. MIL decided she didn't like it. We decided to call him by his middle name to please her. But, eventually, I had a bad day and let it slip that I didn't want to call him by his middle name just for her so we call him by his first name. With the second, we decided not to share the name until he was born because I didn't want to hear how people didn't like it. In my experience that's the better way to go. If we have any more kids, that's the way I hope we'll do it again.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:03 PM on May. 18, 2011