Breastfeeding need help

I am having a really hard time this afternoon, this morning I thought the breastfeeding was going great. I have been trying to nurse her every 2 hours and she acts like she wants to, she will latch and suck I just don't think she is getting anything. She nurses as long as she wants until I can't get her to anymore, then I pump because at her appointment today she had lost a lot of weight, she was born on the 15th weighing 6lbs 1oz and today at her appointment she was 5lbs 4oz. She was doing good and I was seeing milk or colostrum in the nipple shield when she ate, and she was wetting/pooping diapers after every feed. She hasn't had a dirty diaper since around 1 now. At her appointment the doctor told me to nurse her as long as she wanted, then pump and give her the pumped milk, well I did that but when I pump I'm not getting anything. My boobs are HUGE, rock hard and hurt really really bad and I just don't know what to do. I feel like she is so hungry and I'm scared because she has lost so much weight. If I'm not getting anything when I pump is she not getting anything when she tries to nurse?

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 6:10 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumps are not nearly as effective at getting the milk out of the breast as the baby, so don't assume that because you don't get anything when you pump that your baby isn't getting enough when she nurses. I was able to breastfeed both of my children, but I was never able to pump. It sounds like she's having trouble getting the hang of nursing. I think it would be really helpful to visit a lactation consultant. I had no trouble getting my oldest to breastfeed, but my second child had such a hard time learning to nurse. My LC totally saved us. For some reason, he could only get the milk out when he was in a football hold for the first month or so. She taught me to hold him differently and latch him differently and pretty soon he was just fine. Keep in mind I had breastfed my first for over a year before that and considered myself an experienced nurser before that. Every baby is different. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• okay so a couple of questions -- are you getting a fever or feel feverish? You say you can't pump but your breasts are hard have you tried going into the shower and massaging your breasts to help them release? Has your milk come in or are you still just producing colostrum? If your breasts are hard and not able to be mashed a bit it will be hard for her to latch on. so you have I would pump before feeding her a little and then have her latch on.. are you feeling a tug when she sucks and are you hearing a click from her?

You can definitely do this I know it's hard when things don't go as we plan so keep trying and keep posting. Try massaging your breast as she feeds to help release the milk and work out any hard lumps or spots you find.. this will help prevent mastitis.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 6:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Both of my babies lost some weight early on, but they more than made up for it later. If your breasts are hard, and nothing comes out when you pump, you may be engorged/clogged milk duct. I had this happen a few times throughout my 4 years of breastfeeding. Taking a hot shower while massaging the nipples can help unclog them.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh and why are you using a nipple shield.. that can cause problems too...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 6:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My Pediatrician said that it is perfectly normal for a EBF baby to not poop every day, and not to worry if a EFB doesn't poop for 7 days.

To try to get better yield from your breast pumping, TRY nursing your baby on one breast while pumping from the other. This way you'll. have all of the stimulus needed for a natural "let-down." It sounds like a juggling act, but isn't difficult after the first few times.

Your baby WILL NOT starve to death at your breast, so don't stress! (Stress will only make breastfeeding more difficult, so try to relax!)

You're doing great, mama!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Hang in there. How old is your baby? My dd lost weight in the first few days, too, that's very normal. Obviously you don't want it to be a trend but early on it is totally normal. Take a warm shower, if you are engorged that will help the milk let down. Pumping on one side while nursing on the other is a good idea, too, but don't freak if you aren't getting much. For one, pumping IS NOT the same as having baby at the breast. After my milk came in and I had dd at the breast, if she unlatched milk would just be squirting everywhere like a hose, but when I pumped I was lucky to get an ounce or two. If you milk's not in yet then it is even more common that pumping isn't producing much. Also, if she is having wet diapers you are still ok and she is not getting dehydrated. I know it's hard but you have to give it some time and have faith. If it's still the same problems tomorrow I highly recommend calling a Lactation Consultant. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• ok a couple things....if your boobs are hard, you are engourged...meaning you have lots of milk that needs to come out....unless you have inverted nipples or another nipple issue get rid of the nipple shield....the first few weeks of breastfeeding hurt like a bitch but your nipples NEED to get used to it.
    Get some warm compresses...washcloths towels whatever warm them up and cover your boobs with them and massage your breasts....try to express some milk as you do this....also massage anytime you feed baby and get her to latch on and suck away...
    It is normal for ALL babies to lose weight after birth and VERY VERY NORMAL for breastfed babies to not poop for days on end...Breastmilk is much more baby friendly, meaning there is alot less waste and breaks down so almost all of it is absorbed by baby.
    good luck momma just keep bringing baby to nipple to suck and massage massage massage!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 8:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• IF you have a fever and your breasts have a red spot that is hot to the touch, call your doctor as this is mastitis and can be causing your issues also
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 8:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Talk to a lactation consultant. They have more training in breastfeeding than doctors or nurses. Your DD's latch my not be effective, or things could just be fine and you could be worrying for no reason, besides just having had your milk come in and your supply not regulated yet. :)
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I never could get my dd to latch on, I had to pump and bottle feed, even with the LC.
    Good luck. Keep trying!
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 8:26 PM on May. 18, 2011