Question about a 2 mo old and sleep schedule

I have heard that many people try to start a night bedtime routine around 8-12 weeks of age. Many people state that they put their baby to bed at 8 pm each night (in the crib in a dark room). Is this something you do?

Also, how do you control the feedings? For example, if the baby eats at 6:30, would you still put to bed at 8 pm with no bottle, or would you keep the baby awake until the next feeding (9:30-10pm)???

sorry if this sounds silly.... I am just confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started to set a schedule when my son was 1 months old. It's never too early, it only gets easier when you have a schedule. I usually give him a bath before bed, follow by bottle. I used to have a very dim light on b/c he used to get up every 3 hrs for feeding so I can see. Now I turn everything off, and I notice that he started to reallized it's night time and even if he does wake up he doesn't maek that much noise and goes back to sleep. I usually I put him to sleep around 8-9 so I feed him around 6 or 7pm I would def give him another bottle before going to bed, b/c he can sleep for 10-12 hrs now(5 and half months old). Even if he's 2 months old I would def give him another bottle, if I just fed him then I'll give less. If I fed him a hr before bed time I'll just let him sleep.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:22 PM on May. 18, 2011

• At 2 months I wouldn't be trying to start a sleep schedule OR a feeding schedule. Feeding should still be on demand and when the baby passes out, it's bedtime! Eventually your child will put itself on it's own schedule, so just keep track of when it's hungry and when it's falling asleep and use those cues to form a schedule.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 6:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I fed on demand w my kids- baby will still wake up every 2-3 hours, especially if they are going through a growth spurt. I tried to put my kids to bed after their "final" evening feeding (usually between 7 and 10 depending on the day).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 6:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• all babies are different. I breastfeed so I feed my son when he's hungry. I also co-sleep so it's different. My husband and I give my son a bath at night a couple hours before bed, massage him with lotion afterwards, lessen the light and noise, and he's out to sleep anywhere between 8-10pm. The routine helps him understand its bed time shortly. dont be discouraged if your baby isnt on a great schedule at 2months yet, many arent then. good luck!
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 6:37 PM on May. 18, 2011

• This question helps me, too.

We've just started to implement a night-time routine for our 6 week-old: Feed at the breast until full the last feeding before midnight (any time from 10:30 p.m. to midnight). Then short bath. Then pajamas on and in our bed (we co-sleep) with the lights off by 1 a.m.

He generally feeds once every 3 hours and sleeps the majority of time between feedings, and Husband and I stay up late at night, so this seems to be working for us so far...

I'm glad to know others have questions of night scheduling too!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If the baby was showing signs of being tired then we put him to bed regardless of when he ate/ or will eat (you know, unless they will eat in the next 30 minutes or so). When they went to bed depended on if they were tired or not, nothing else. At two months they are still too young to have an exact bedtime.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Thanks for the information.. I was wondering the same thing.
    kirstenvargo

Answer by kirstenvargo at 8:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• by 8 weeks i added cereal to my daughters night bottle after 930pm.. bath and bed.. she slept 6 hours straight after that...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 7:13 PM on May. 18, 2011