Bottle feeding mothers - why do you bottle feed? (Not a debate!!)

I am NOT trying to start a breast/bottle debate here. I am a bottle feeding mother, and I am just curious to get other womens' stories about why they chose the bottle? Were you physically unable to breastfeed, were you uncomfortable with breastfeeding, do you do it for convenience?

No bashing here; feel free to post anonymously if you want to. I truly would just like to hear other womens' stories!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 4. And just never had the desire to brestfeed. Though I wish I would have. I did with my last. and do regret not doing it with the rest.
    Anonymous

• i bottle feed bc i smoke n i dnt want 2 put it in my daughter. i did plan 2 breast feed thou.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 9:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i bottle fed...
    but...
    I did try to brest feed. i had twins one was in the nicu one was at home. I breast fed for 2 wks. it was ok til they started getting sick the doc said my milk went bad wtf..didnt know it spoils in you. any was i wasnt making enough for 2 anyways...

i loved the bottle feeding it gave me help feeding. and hell i could feed them anywhere.etc.

i would try again just dont know
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Thanks for the responses. Other please feel free to respond too!

This is my little "story"...
    I tried to bf my first, and barely made it 2 wks. I just wasn't producing enough for her, even after seeking help from professionals. Plus I was inexplicably horrified by the contact...it felt "wrong" and I cried through every feeding. The advice I finally got was that it was better to bottle feed and bond with my daughter than try to breastfeed and resent her. BEST ADVICE I ever received!! While bottle feeding, everything changed for the better, including my relationship with my baby.

I like to hear other womens' stories because I don't feel guilty about not breastfeeding...but I do get bashed a lot for planning on bottle feeding my next child as well. I hate that. :-/
    Anonymous

• i tried to bf. i had no problems in the hospital but once i got home it hurt like hell. my DD was latched on perfectly but it felt like i was being stabbed in the chest with every suck. i put up with that torture for 2 weeks!! i was so drained & exhausted that i started to hate feeding time & my DD. i was getting depressed. so i stopped bf & just pumped. my supply ran dry around month1 so i had to supplement. my DD went formula-only at 2 mo & we havent looked back. my mental health depended on not breatfeeding
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Don't let anyone who bashes u get the best of you girl!! I did both and ALL my boys are EQUALLY healthy!! I breastfed my first 2 then bottle fed the twins and I am bottlefeeding my newborn now. None of my boys have even ever been on antibiotics! their immune systems are great and they are all really smart. so even tho we all know breast is best - its only best if it works for all involved. formula is genuinely best for others and our babies do not suffer b/c of it.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I tried to breastfeed my first son, but had a horrific emergency c-section. I was on morphine until the morning we left the hospital and on some serious pain-killers after that. I was really out of it most of the time, I don't even remember the first I held him clearly. He didn't really latch on well on his own, the nurses will not helpful and after the first two nights of him crying I gave up and asked for a bottle.

With my second I had a vaginal/coherent delivery and the child came up rooting. As soon as they had him cleaned up he latched on and seemed to know exactly what to do on his own. It was an amazing experience nursing him but I agree with the advice you got, it is better to bond with the baby than resenting them!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Adoptive mother to youngest ( 4 weeks )so no breastfeeding here.I have heard of adoptive nursing...but decided against it. I didn't breastfeed my first two as I found it hard, but did pump for a yr.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I breastfeed and bottlefeed. I breastfeed while I'm with him but he's bottlefed while I'm at work.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I breastfeed for 2 weeks with very little weight gain. After two weeks of nearly daily weight checks the doc put us on supplimental formula. I was having so much pain from the get go, I was so happy to be able to give one or two bottles a day for the break. Around 4 weeks when the doc OKed us back to just breastmilk, I was in so much pain I was ready to wean. At 6 weeks we were on formula. I discovered as I dried up that one side was producing only 2 oz period. the other side varied depending depend and it was that one side that was causing all the pain. At least I can use this next time to determine a better approach to painless breastfeeding (most likily excluding one side!) But even when we breastfed, I pumped and hubby did the morning feed so i could sleep a full 7-8 hours every night. And I did the 2 am feed so he could get a full night sleep. Yeah tag team :)
    Anonymous