How do you train a 4 year old to eat at meal times...

with a newborn, who eats when he's hungry?

my dd is still learning that she needs to eat when the rest of us eats, and now i am scared that she'll NEVER learn after the baby comes and she realizes that he eats when he wants. lol

dayziesnrozes

Asked by dayziesnrozes at 6:35 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep reinforcing that she eats at mealtimes with the family. Also if she complains the baby gets to eat whenever he wants, just explain that when she was a tiny baby she got to eat like that too, but now since she is big, she can wait until meal time. It also helps to point out that she is so lucky because she can eat things the baby can't, and remind her how much she loves her favorite foods. And how lucky she is that she gets a variety of foods and the poor baby only gets milk.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You do the whole your your sister/brother is a baby you are a big girl you eat with me like a big girl......let her help you feed the baby etc and just keep explaining that the baby only has milk so they need to eat more.....is she on a schedule now? I have a 3.5 year old and she always eats at the same time each day, it may vary some if we are out, she doesnt necessarily eat with us though her dinner time is earlier than ours. I would try your hardest to get her into whatever routine your trying to before baby comes and then you just ahve to reinforce it. Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Do not allow excessive snacking. Always give snacks at the table and never in front of the television or during playtime. She will learn to associate eating with sitting at the table.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 6:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• buy a magnetic calendar board that shows designated times for things and have her put manets up for her breakfast lunch and snack times and maybe some to mark for the baby as well..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 6:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I just would not give your 4 year old the choice. Either at meal time or not at all. This was never an issues with our little ones but I guess we never allowed snacking and they had to eat at meals.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:53 PM on May. 18, 2011