When Do I Wean? Just found out I'm expecting again!

I just found out 2 days ago that I'm expecting again and I'm still BF'ing my 16mo DS. It's my understanding that for medical reasons I should stop nursing for the health of the developing baby, is this correct? Also, if this is the case, any tips on weaning? I was going to let my DS wean himself (I would have nursed past 2 if he wanted) but at this point I want to do what's best for his little sister/brother....It's killing me though! My DS nurses mostly before naps and bedtime but occasionally I offer it as a comfort thing too. Recently, when I try to distract him with milk in a bottle/sippy cup he just shakes his head "no" and tries to pull my shirt off. He knows the baby sign language for "please" and "milk" so he's always asking SO nicely and it's just heartbreaking to have to turn him down...Has anyone else gone through this specific situation before? How do I deal with this??!

ShainaMay

Asked by ShainaMay at 6:40 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, keep nursing. You can even continue after the new baby is born, it's called tandem nursing, athough I've never done it. I've had and breastfed 6 kids, my youngest is two and a half and still nursing occasionally. But the tandem thing, I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Check out the "Breastfeeding moms" group for more info and support though.

During pregnancy, the hormones and chemical changes can affect your supply, and possibly the taste of the milk, so don't be disappointed if he decides to wean himself, but if he's happy to continue, there's no reason to quit. He sounds like a real sweetheart. Congratulations on both your adorable lil boy and the new baby-on-the-way.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You can safely breastfeed during pregnancy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Really?!?! Oh my gosh! That would be incredible! I'm stressing out just thinking about doing this to my DS...I have 8.8 months and counting to stay super-bonded to my little man and I just can't bear the thought of taking away his boobies...
    ShainaMay

Comment by ShainaMay (original poster) at 6:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• All you'll need is the extra fluids you already take in and keep eating healthy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i thought you could still nurse.. i dont see why you couldnt and when the lil one comes youll just produce more GL mommy
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:46 PM on May. 18, 2011