How can I get my 4 y/o DD to stop being a tattle tale?

She tells on everything her brothers or the dogs do. I am going crazy for all the tattling.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 6:43 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My parents had an amazing rule that worked SO well: The tattle-tale got EXACTLY the same punishment as the person who got tattled on. They wanted to teach us to stick together as a team rather than turn on each other. Example: If I tattled on my sister for not doing her homework, then we both couldn't watch TV for a week.

On the down-side, as teenagers my sister and I learned to collaborate against our parents' rules, but you shouldn't run into problems since your DD is so young.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• she'll grow out of it and then you will want the tattling back.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You can't. It's the age, and she'll grow out of it.

It is like that scene from ET when young Drew Barrymore tells the mom about her brother being in the woods. There is no way to keep it in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:46 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I LOVE TATTLING. If you try and stop it at her young age, don't you worry that may stop her later on when it could be something that you really need to know?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:43 PM on May. 18, 2011