Wwyd - college gave you credit for a class you signed up for and dropped?

I have been taking online masters classes (education - in my state we need 6 masters credits each 5 years to renew licences.) I took my six hours, the classes were pass/fail by design - one credit per class - each class lasted about 2 months- you just completed around 24 classes (which mostly was watch some video/slideshow presentation and blog or do a small online project on that topic.)
I did sign up for the seventh class in the series - they changed professors and the workload became unreasonable for one credit hour. i emailed the professor to drop it. (that is what we are supposed to do.) i thought i dropped the class because i received an email confirmation.
fast forward about 2 months - i see these emails that grades are posted. i checked - i have that credit... btw i already in those 2 months renewed my licence.... so my old credits arent in question - they already counted.... what should i do ?
- just ignore it - email the professor and tell him how he made this mistake - call the college - it really doesnt matter as one credit is nothing and i did nothing wrong to receive it - it was just their mistake ...
what would you do??

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 6:46 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'd set it straight. You want your transcript to be accurrate.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I received a Bachelor's Degree certificate for a field of study I didn't complete.

And that's why this post is Anonymous, and the certificate is hanging on my wall!
    Anonymous

• @ Anony, WOW! How did they make that mistake, I wonder? I had to go up to my college to pick up my AA and BA degrees after applying for graduation and paying a fee.

@OP You do want your transcript to be accurate, but I still wouldn't know what to do in your situation. If I got an A I didn't earn, I wouldn't complain about it, but I would complain about an F I didn't earn. I guess I have fluid morals like that. I never complain about being given extra change either, but if I'm overcharged I'm upset. I guess I love that Monopoly card that says "Bank error in your favor."
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 7:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• To clarify, though, I earned all of the As on my transcript, and all of the Fs, lol.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 7:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I changed my major my senior year, but ended up graduating with the original major. The first certificate I got during the graduation ceremony, and the second BA certificate arrived in the mail a couple weeks later.

My transcripts reflect my correct classes and grades; it's just the second certificate that was a mistake!
    Anonymous

• i mainly feel bad for my coworkers that didnt drop the class and had to do all the work... but then again they dont know... i checked my transcripts again and hoping it wouldjust disappear... its still there... pretty sure i am just going to ignore it - in FIVe years if it is still there i might even apply it to my course credits but... i do feel bad about it - when i am given too much change i give it back - well if it is way too much so that i notice...
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 3:47 PM on May. 19, 2011