Circumcision ban to appear on San Francisco ballot

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2011-05-18-US-Circumcision-Ban/id-6adc25cf00524332a9d482bd405a5da3

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A group seeking to ban the circumcision of male children in San Francisco has succeeded in getting their controversial measure on the November ballot, meaning voters will be asked to weigh in on what until now has been a private family matter.

City elections officials confirmed Wednesday that the initiative had received enough signatures to appear on the ballot, getting more than 7,700 valid signatures from city residents. Initiatives must receive at least 7,168 signatures to qualify.

If the measure passes, circumcision would be prohibited among males under the age of 18. The practice would become a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to one year in jail. There would be no religious exemptions.

_______

Full Story in link

I knew this was a hot debate topic but had no idea it was going in this direction.

Thoughts?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 6:58 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• YAY!!!!!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• eye rolling

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My thought....that people really need to mind their own damn business. This is America after all, right? How dare they try to butt in someone's private choice as a parent like that.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 7:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• San Francisco of full of 'interesting' laws/bans... Not really surprised... I hope for the sake of the Jewish community as well as any others who circumcise based on religious value that it does not pass.
    Anonymous

• – collapse
    I think it is fantastic! I did not have my ds circumcised. The doctor was so happy with our decision, saying that circumcisions were unnecessary. It is cruel to do to a newborn boy. Once an adult, the choice is theirs.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Wow thats soooo stupid! lol. Im glad I dont live in an area that makes such a big deal about something so small when we have bigger things to be worrying about.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 7:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Totalllyyyyyyy agree with Gomez!
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 7:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• OMG! Is there anything left for parents to decide for themselves? Pretty soon we'll be like China & have to get permission to have our children, what to name them, etc! This is so beyond ridiculous! And it will only end up costing huge sums of money when it's taken to court to fight the absurdity of it!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous and without religious exemptions, it could be ruled unconstitutional. Then again it would probably get kicked to the 9th district and we know how they rule.

This is probably going to get ugly.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• There would be no religious exemptions.

Wouldn't that be enough to stop it from being a law?
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on May. 18, 2011