When did you start lactating? adult content

i've been producing clear liquid, colostrum, for several weeks now, but last night while in the shower, i starting leaking actual milk. i'm 35 weeks pregnant. is that normal? or a bit early? i don't remember ever leaking anything but colostrum when pregnant with my first child.

dayziesnrozes

Asked by dayziesnrozes at 7:22 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your fine and it's normal. It IS colostrum which IS milk. Milk isn't a whole different thing, colostrum is higher fat and calorie milk because babies stomach will be so tiny and can only hold a little at a time, so, milk is higher fat and calories....then, as it gets older, the colostrum gets less fatty and caloric and more volume.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Only colostrum for me, from 24 weeks on. But this is my first baby... I didn't start milk until baby was 2 or 3 days old.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It all depends on the person. It is normal. I never lactate until after birth but I know some people start long before you have.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• well colostrum isn't clear its a thick yellowish....you can start leaking at various points. I never did until atleast 24hrs after birth....but I know a number of girls/women who have been leaking most of their pregnancies.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 7:37 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I never leaked ever - even after delivery and i couldn't express anything until 2-3 days after delivery
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I did not leak a drop before baby was born. Milk came it when baby was 3 days old - and then the leaking issues began :S
    Anonymous

• I started leaking colostrum around 5 or 6 months, and towards the end, it kinda looked like milk, but it was colostrum, now that I look back on it. It was alot thicker and a slightly different color than what my actual breastmilk ended up looking like.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 2:49 AM on May. 19, 2011