My DR. mentioned a meningitis vaccine?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, wouldn't I have needed this to attend public school? I started school in 97. Was it not required then? I asked him if I should've had it to go to school and he just said "Oh, well you can't overdose on the vaccine so better safe than sorry." I'm wondering if I really need it or if he wants to get the money for the vaccination. I put it off for now until I can find out whether I really need it or not. Don't wanna put crap in my body if it's not necessary. And also, why wouldn't he just go look at my shot records? I'm starting to wonder about my doc. :\

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 7:25 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• I don't think it was required back then, and now they get it around the age of 12 or 13 is when its recommended. Meningitis is nothing to mess with, so I got the vaccine for my kids. But if you have your immunization records and they are up to date, or if it is the same Dr and he might have them on file, he SHOULD check them per your request.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i want to say its relatively new (within the last several years). i know my sister had to get one to attend public university. but i'm not 100% positive on that
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 10:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My 8 month old son had meningitis when he was 5.5 weeks old. He's okay now, but was in the hospital for days. It is the scariest thing that I have ever had to deal with.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 10:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No, it was not required then. Every year, more and more vaccines are being added to the "required" list so make sure you understand the risks and benefits of each of them if you are being advised to get them (don't rely solely on your doctor because their info is skewed because they're advised by the pharm reps-do your own research).

I personally would not get the vaccine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on May. 19, 2011