Is it relevant to look at the animal kingdom to determine if human same-sex behavior is "natural"? (Featuring General Reference)

Tina Adler, freelance science writer, stated in a Jan. 4, 1997 Science News article titled "Animals' Fancies: Why Members of Some Species Prefer Their Own Sex":
"Research into the benefits and origins of homosexuality in animals is important to the furthering understanding of animal behavior. However, people can't help wondering what the findings say about, well, people. Growing numbers of human studies are now linking homosexuality to unique biological traits.

While some researchers examine what benefits animals may derive from same-sex sexual activities, others are trying to pinpoint straightforward biological causes of the behavior."

LanaisSky96

Asked by LanaisSky96 at 7:37 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• Of course it's relevant.  Human beings don't like to admit it, but we're no different than our fellow animals.  A lot of people like to tell themselves that same-gendered interests are a social decision; but homosexuality has been scientifically documented in apes (that's right - our closest relatives on the tree), whales, wolves, dogs, cats, rodents, assorted varieties of livestock, and even birds.  So what's their motivation for making that "choice"?

Studying other species can help science understand the phenomenon in an environment free of such distractions.

BryzniFaye

Answer by BryzniFaye at 7:55 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i dont see why not they look at it for everything else...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• LOL. Sure, we're animals too (especially men!! LOL) I think it's interesting that other species also have homosexual individuals.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• since people are a part of the animal kingdom, i'm not sure why it wouldn't make sense.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well, I had a male chorkie, that only wanted to hump on my male corgie mix. I even have and unaltered female, he didn't care. And he was fixed! He earned the nickname Eddie the gay chiuauah!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Eh I don't know.
    Anonymous

• Sure it makes sense, but face it, most male dogs will hump anything. Another dog, a cat (if one will put up with it) a leg, a rock, whatever.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 PM on May. 18, 2011