Rotavirus Vaccine?

Did you get this vaccine for your child? My baby is due for her 2 month well baby visit next week and I'm planning on having her get that along with the other usual vaccines. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I plan to ask my pediatrician about it anyway, but was just interested to hear what others experienced. Thanks.

mmsfirstone

Asked by mmsfirstone at 7:38 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had all my kids get the shot because it can be dangerous if they do contract rotavirus. It causes severe diarrhea and dehydration which is bad for anyone but especially babies. My advice: get it and ask pediatrician about any side affects.
    tattooedmama126

Answer by tattooedmama126 at 7:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'm a ped's nurse... I did get te vaccine for my son because I saw a dramatic decrease in hospital admissions after it was started.
    It used to be the start of fall through the spring our floor was FILLED with children in with Rotavirus... usually babies and toddlers that became too dehydrated because of excessive vomiting and diarrhea.... I would be we had around 100 children every year... now we see maybe 6 kids total! It's really amazing.
    The vaccine doesn't mean they won't get it though... we have had children that have had the vaccine and still get it... but for he most part it's less severe.
    On the other hand, I don't think it's a vaccine that is NEEDED... like chicken pox, most children do just fine... most kids don't spend time in the hospital and those that do are usually there a day or so... but there are always the extreme cases in any illness. SO if you aren't sure just skip it... and do more research.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:37 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I had the shot for my now 6 year old and she was fine and didn't get rotavirus. My youngest now 2 however. I never new that the old doctor we had (family doctor) never gave her the shot. Well she ended up really sick she was throwing up for 2 days and had diarehea for 3 weeks straight after a week I took her to the doctor they had me bring in a dirty diaper to check it and she had blood work done and found out it was rotavirus. I had to keep her very hydrated, but becasue they thought she was dehydrated I was supose to go and have her checked at the ER, but after waiting 3 hours and her screaming I left and figured I would just give her lots of gatorade so that is what I did. Her doctor asked me if I new she never had the shot I said no. But by that time it was to late for her to get it she was like 16 months old. I would suggest getting the shot, but thats just me. I get every vaccine possible for my kids. CONT....
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• including flu shots
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yeah, I've heard of others whose kids have had the rotavirus. someone I know personally had their child admitted to the hospital for a week or so cuz the kid was so sick. it was awful. I would hate to see my own child much less anybody elses go through that. knowing there's a vaccine for it makes me feel so much better.
    mmsfirstone

Comment by mmsfirstone (original poster) at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My little guy got it
    sweetdragoness

Answer by sweetdragoness at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My 3rd child has rotavirus while I was pregnant with our 4th - she spent 4 days in the picu. It was hell! So yes, DS got the vaccine (none of my older kids got it because it wasn't out) - for him it was oral, 3 doses at 2, 4, and 6 months. He was exposed to rotavirus 3 times that we know of, and never caught it. So I am extremely glad that we chose for him to get it!
    Anonymous

• got it on time. My son got all his shots on time not delaying vaccine
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yes, i get it for my children.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my pedi says it's a drink rather than a shot in her clinic... I'm debating on vaccines now. Baby is due for 1st vaccinations in 2 or 3 weeks.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:06 AM on May. 19, 2011