My daughter is almost 2 years old and she will not eat! But she CONSTANTLY leads me to the pantry and picks out food but will not eat it!

She has been doing this for months! She won't eat ANYTHING at daycare...except maybe a handful of dry cereal or apple sauce and then comes home and will eat only half of or none of anything I offer or she asks for! She will grab my hand and lead my to the pantry and pick things out and then either scream when I give it to her or eat 1/2 or less and then throw it on the floor. She is wasting so much food but she will scream like I'm murdering her or something if I don't get her the food she picks out.

I wasn't too worried at first but now she's starting to lose weight!

Any advice? Why would she be doing this?

I'm going to talk to her pediatrician sometime next weekend but I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 8:07 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are your helpings too large. Cut them in half and maybe she will eat all of it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I cut it all down, small pieces. I've tried a variety of different sizes and portions...not sure what her deal is. And when I say she only eats a bit...i mean, she really only eat a little....

example:

this morning I made her a bowl of instant oatmeal that she used to love.

she took 5 bites. and then knocked it off her tray and screamed.

made her a hotdog this morning...cut it up into bite sized pieces. she had 8 little pieces and then refused to eat any more.
    davila26

Comment by davila26 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my dd does this.. i just make sure to have a snack bowl of fruits out on the counter and a bowl of veggies in the fridge for her that she can eat anytime she wants.. she just eats in small portions... and the snacking helps make sure she snacks health but is still eatting between meals (and for those that are gonna say, there you go snacking is the problem, no its not, if she doesnt have the snacks she would still not eat half her meals, at least with the snacks she eats more and healthier throughout the day)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• although my dd is 3 and doesnt have a tantrum lol... (but she use to when she was younger so i feel your frustration)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It could be just a phase, but it's good you will have a doctor check her out. If she's hungry but can't eat, something physical might be bothering her. Is she teething? Has she had ear infections or sinus problems (hurts to move jaw)? Does she have allergies (sore throat)?

If it's just behavioral, you may want to talk to a nutritionist to get ideas on how to increase the nutrients and calories of what she will eat. Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:31 PM on May. 18, 2011