What do you do when letting your baby cry it out doesn't work?

lilwifey0909

Asked by lilwifey0909 at 6:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I try a bottle or solid food since my youngest is 11 mos. If she's not hungry I try to console her by singing, rocking her, or just walking around the house with her. If she still resists then I give her toys to play with, and if that doesn't work I'll give her medicine. If after all this she doesn't respond and it's been a few days of this activity I'll call the doctor.
    algolden05

Answer by algolden05 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Letting your baby cry it out will work..you have to have patience & be consistent-Are you talking about going to sleep at night? It sucks to hear them cry but it will eventually help them learn to sleep on their own. Keep trying and Good Luck!
    amybuddy45

Answer by amybuddy45 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Crying it out never works in my opinion.
    Just rock your little one to sleep, then once asleep lay the little one down in bed. It takes awhile so stay patient. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• How old is your baby?
    "Cry it out" shouldn't be used on babies younger than 4 months and it doesn't work well under 6 months.
    After 6 months old, it usually only fails when the parent doesn't stick to a plan.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I did a combo of rocking and CIO... I rocked my son for 10-15 minutes every night & then put him in his crib. If he was asleep, he would stay asleep. If he was awake, he would cry for a little while, but then I would go in there & make sure he was still laying down & pat his back for a minute. I would repeat that until he finally passed out. It took us about a week... and he hasn't cried for more than 1 minute in over a year.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Comfort your child. See if he/she needs something. Hug them, love them. They are only little for so long.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 5:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• hold your child keep your child close dont let the child feel abandoned or that you wont meet its needs! crying out can cause damage to the babys brain. check out cio alternatives group here on cm
    Carries1st

Answer by Carries1st at 8:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I agree with crazysocks. Babbies are supposed to cry! That's how they communicate. Don't forget that they have very small stomaches too, so they NEED to wake up at nigh to eat. "sleeping through the night" is usually classified as 4-5 hours anyways, so really, its' not sleeping through the night.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 11:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Ask yourself "why is my baby crying?". There is a reason. Overstimulated... bump up bedtime. Needs a cuddle, hungry, wet, hot, cold, tummy ache, reflux, teething. It's so hard being a baby. Today's society is so set on programing our children at young ages to sleep through the night and get themselves to sleep. We are getting so impersonal and desensitized. Respond to your baby's needs and you may find that it will go a long way.
    Carri2362

Answer by Carri2362 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Find out why your baby is crying. Change their diaper, give them a bottle, play some music (I've found that music you listened to while pregnant works GREAT; my daughter falls asleep to metal). Also, rocking them to sleep, be it you standing next to their crib and swaying back and forth or sitting in an easy chair, helps a lot. My husband is the only one of the two of us who seems to be able to do this with my 19-almost-20-month-old.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2008