Stranger danger- "What if they have a gun?"

I was just talking to my kids about kidnappings and strangers, etc. We've talked about it a million times before, it was brought up this time because a man tried to take a local boy from a bus stop. So after I tell the kids what to do my oldest says " What if they have a gun?" So what do you think, moms? What if the stranger has a gun? Yell and run anyways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Someone came up to me when I was 16 with a gun. I screamed and ran as loud as I could. I'm alive today!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:24 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We had a 'Stranger Danger' assembly at our school and a kid actually asked that question. The response was that if they assailant had a gun, they shouldn't fight, but look for other opportunities to leave clues or to get away when the assailant did not have a gun.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• well what they teach the kids in school is to yell and run away, and i agree with that. i would rather them shoot them trying to escape than for them to shoot them after raping and torturing them. they have to try at least to get away.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I didn't know how to answer. My first thought is a person probably won't use the gun because it would bring attention. So of course the next question was "What if no one is around?" So I thought about the leaving clues thing. I don't have a good answer though. Scary stuff. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I was kidnapped by a stranger with a gun. He had it in my side, and I had to make an opportunity to get away when it was safer to do so. It depends on a lot of things. Sometimes, you have to stay calm so that trigger does not go off.

But, a kid can't make those decisions, so I would just say to scream "Call 911! Danger! Danger! And tell them to run like the wind." Children don't have the same mental resources to outsmart, so they must get away ASAP.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Its hard to hit a moving target, plus if there are anything around...buildings, bushes, trees, etc., you can get away. Even if "no one" is around, there are still likely to be housing with people IN the houses.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'll be honest, I've never told my kids to scream and run away... In fact I was never told that either... We were always told, and we tell our kids, to simply keep walking. Don't make a big deal, don't run, just keep moving. If they have a weapon and you're life is already in danger, then you do what you have to do to stay alive.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I was always told to just keep going, but if I couldn't to scream and run because most of the time a kidnapper won't use the gun it is there as a scare tactic. Also it is pretty hard to hit a moving person
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:37 AM on May. 19, 2011