Sensory issues??

Children with sensory issues
do u have a child with sensory issues or sensory processing disorder? how old is this child and how does the child act? when and how was child diagnosed. I have questions bc my child may have issues. thanks and please no bashing, i am just a curious mother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd recommend getting the book The Out of Sync Child
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Or the book Raising Brandon. Thats a good one too. My son has autism, turrets and adhd. Its been a wild ride and I feel he has SPD but the dr chalks it up to autism. He hates the feel of water, sand, grass, sticky, soft touching, being held not tight enough. He has been like this since birth. Its hard
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 8:28 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The book "The out of sync child" helped me understand my son's sensory issues, until then I as at a total loss. My son is 13 and was DX'd with Sensory issues at the age of 6. My son is what as known as a "sensory seeker"..he responds very well to deep pressure therapy and uses a weighted blanket sometimes(not as often as he used to). He hates tags on his clothing and will not wear underwear unless it is inside out. He does not like the feel of slimy things (will not and has not ever finger painted) and has a lot of textural aversions to food, anything fibrous or mixed textured(lettuce, onions, chunky peanut butter) make him gag. SPD and ADHD often go hand in hand with ASD (which my son also has). I hope you find some solutions soon!
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son has sensory processing disorder... retrospectively, it was apparent from birth that things bothered him far more than other babies. He was very high needs, hard to settle, cried a lot over nothing we could figure out. As a toddler, he was always complaining that things were too loud, too bright, too cold, too hot, that he could smell something bad, that a noise was bothering him, that something was itchy or uncomfortable- that was a big one. We had to rip the tags out of everything- there weren't as many tagless t-shirts nine years ago! We didn't really get a clue of what was going on until he was four, started junior kindergarten, and was completely overwhelmed. At age nine he has improved a lot- still very sensitive to noise and bright light. He also has some quirks that similar to Asperger's, but not enough to meet diagnostic criteria, and has learning disabilities in spite of being very, very smart.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• spd IS a form of autism
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 PM on May. 27, 2011