Do you think formula for babies is being used by mothers...

Due to laziness, IF it's not for going back to work or medical issues?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 8:30 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• – collapse
    I don't know if it is laziness, but I think that it is vanity or not wanting to share something that is sexual to them. I don't know how many times I have heard women say thy don't even want to try breastfeeding because they "don't want saggy boobs" or don't want their man to have to "share" with the baby. Personally, I think that is selfish. I am thrilled to have a husband that understands that it is the best for the baby and supports me nursing wherever I am and as long as I feel like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on May. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• No... In fact I would say breast feeding is the 'lazier' route. (I say this as a breast feeder- no insult implyed) I mean make the bottle warm the bottle, empty the bottle, wash the bottle... seems like double the work to me... All I did was pull a breast out of my shirt and put it back. I think it is just a choice... Is breast best? Sure. Is formula 'poisonous'? No. It is a choice. How the choice is made is irrelevant unless it is yours.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think if a baby is being fed then it doesn't matter
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think generalizing is never a good idea. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons women choose to use formula.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I personally don't think anyone should have to make an excuse as to why their baby is fed formula as opposed to breast. It is a personal choice and nothing more. I also think there are waaaay to many nosy do gooders worried about this. I breast fed all of my babies but i'm not worried about why my neighbor formula fed hers.
    Anonymous

• Personally I do not think that it anyone's business but the mother's and father's why it is being used.
    Anonymous

• i think even if a mother chooses to use it that way, that's her right and nobody's damn business.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think way too many women on this site spend disturbing amounts of time obsessing over where everyone else's breasts are or are not spending their time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I don't think it's laziness, as others have said nursing really is so much easier- no sterilizing nipples or getting up in the night to microwave a bottle, everything is just right there ready to go. Although I don't necessarily think all women understand that. I think some women think that all nursing means is cracked and bloody nipples and being tethered to your baby 24/7 which is not an accurate portrayal. I don't like to hear that a woman chose formula without even trying to nurse because I feel like she is missing out on such a wonderful opportunity to do something so basic and instinctual that it has sustained mankind forever (which I know makes me sound like a total hippie). But I also have to remember that it came easy for me and that's not the case for everyone else and it's not fair to judge someone's choices when I haven't walked a mile in their shoes. These things aren't always black and white.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No...some people have a hard time breastfeeding...I couldnt BF my 4 yr old because she was a preemie and was in the hospital for 4 months...I dried up while she was in there and had to use formula...I plan on breastfeeding the one I'm pregnant with now but if I'm not able to for whatever reason I'm not going to feel guilty about using formula
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:33 PM on May. 18, 2011