Does breastfeeding go against modesty?

saw this in another forum. and yes can of worms another can of worms let me open it up myself. if mom isn't wearing a cover, the most that is visible is a bit of breastskin above the child's head. i've seen more nudity at my local beach, nobody squirmed or got uncomfortable or turned their children's eyes away then. why is it different with breastfeeding? and how can being comfortable with breastfeeding in public be considered in any way, shape or form "immodest"? i applaud women who feed their children in public and don't give a damn about the squirmy idiots/staring. 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:33 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm one of those moms. I wear belly bands and nursing bras, and I guarantee you that if anyone ever had the nuts to say something to me, I would be able to point out a set of boobs out for sex they could ACTUALLY complain about from wherever I was sitting. It does bother me that we can walk by a Victoria Secret store with the full window panel ads of greased up tits crammed together on a bent over super model and that is fine, but that we better cover a child's eyes from a nursing mom.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I have a funny story to share. One time I was at a busy NY playground. This mom was nursing. She was done, burped the baby, chased after her two older ones, played with the two older ones, put the baby in the swing...then I realize something is a tad skew...she forgot to pull her shirt down and left her left boob/nxxpple hanging out. There were mostly mom's in the area, maybe 1-2 dads, no one said a thing or stared. I think she must have felt something breezy and eventually pulled her shirt down...LOL...children can make you do all kinds of crazy things, right?
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• And I want to add...I don't think a woman should have to try to hide BF'ing at all. However, I don't think she should try to flaunt it and show her boobs either. I witnessed this once and it was weird, if you ask me. I swear, the woman was TRYING to show her boob. She was beyond obvious. Though, I know that's not the norm. Like I said before, I never wanted my breasts exposed to everyone, so it was kinda odd to me when I saw a woman who I think was looking for attention.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i have bf all 3 of my kids in public....parks, resturant, etc. nobody has said a thing to me or looked at me funny. instead of lifting up my shirt, i wear buttondown or v-neck shirts and go in from the top. you can't tell one bit. i think the only thing more obvious that you're nursing than a nursing wrap/cover thing would be a huge neon sign that says 'look at me....i'm nursing a baby!' i don't see the need. nobody has ever seen my boobs while i'm nursing.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I completely agree, and you're right that people make a stink about it as though it's somehow pornographic but then you look at the bathing suits and even shirts and dresses some people wear and they are equally revealing, and more importantly they are much more sexually suggestive than a woman breastfeeding. I saw a woman at the zoo playground nursing her child without a cover and I thought "Good for her, I wish I had the nerve to do that." It really took me a moment to even realize that was what she was doing because she was just going about her business and not really drawing attention to herself. For me personally I would be uncomfortable without a cover, but someone else doing it does not bother me a bit, and I am certainly mature enough and respectful enough to avert my eyes and grant a nursing mother a bit of privacy. It's really not that hard.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It is in no way immodest to nurse. It is merely feeding a baby, nothing more, nothing less.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well someone watched Carrie one too many times..... They are not dirty pillows =p
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Nope. Our society goes against nature.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:21 PM on May. 18, 2011

• No, I don't think it goes against modesty. I always wore a cover-up when I was outside my house and BF'ing, though. Not only for other people...I didn't want anyone seeing my huge, swollen breasts, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with you . If people are modesty- obsessed that is their problem . They can avert their eyes from anything they do not wish to see.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2011