Where did all the respect go?

It absolutely amazes me how some children will talk to their parents!! What gets me even more, is that alot of those parents just let them get away with it!!! If children grow up are not taught to respect their parents, then why would they show anyone respect?

lil_momma_vdv

Asked by lil_momma_vdv at 8:36 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I totally agree but I also have to say that a lot of parents are scared to discipline their kids these days- too much political correctness and fear of what might happen. Some children need more than a time out to learn respect and these days parents can't always parent.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 8:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Respect and manners are HUGE in my house. I see kids everyday who talk to their parents any way they want and that would never fly in my house. I don't know how someone can let their child get away with speaking to them like that.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 8:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• gotta give respect to receive respect. i dont respect my mother, she gets nothing from me.. but i respect other people.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 8:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i agree with you . My children are raised up differently and have learned to be polite, courteous and respectful . The parents are responsible or should I say irresponsible ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It is amazing how children of today don't respect their parents or other adults. We have taught and continue to teach our children respect, they say yes ma'am, yes sir...we are not popular for doing this but we often get compliments as to how well mannered our children are. Respect, I think begins at home, taught by parents willing to enforce the respect issue to their children.
    crochetmom4301

Answer by crochetmom4301 at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i don't really know any 'bad kids', but i would assume it's from lack of dicipline and a structured homelife.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My personal take on that situation is this; you are hearing what happens in public. Children learn what they live. You have to ask yourself , where did this child learn to talk like that? In public, a parent isn't going to give as good as they get, but at home I bet it is an entirely different story. I demand that my child speak to me respectfully, and if I don't hear it in public, I remind him appropriately. I discipline my child in public. I don't ever lay a hand on him when I do. I don't shout. In fact, if I whisper to you, you better be scared! I have left stores with a screaming toddler, I have asked for to go boxes in a restaurant. I haven't had to do this but once each. My son is for the most part well-behaved, fortunately. I am consistent without fail, but I do not overreact. Sometimes in public I will issue a warning if the situation dictates, but mostly I make my expectations clear before we leave the house.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:55 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Kids are taught to express your self and have been given a sense of entitlement.  What is sad these kids grow up to be angry adults.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• respect is earned...i wont respect anyone who doesnt respect me, that includes my own parents, however when i meet strangers im polite
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 10:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• People treat you the way you teach them to treat you. These parents never bothered to exert their authority.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:39 AM on May. 19, 2011