Is Welfare (food stamps) a broken system? adult content

It's stories like this that get under my skin and make me mad over the whole food stamp-welfare system.

In Michigan, a man won the state lottery. He won $2 million. He also has been seen around town driving his new Audi convertible. But friends were confused when they saw him at the store still paying for his food with food stamps.

When confronted, the man said after taxes he was only left with around a million dollars. But he says he has no problem with using government money to buy his food. 59-year-old Leroy Fick told the media, "if you are going to try and make me feel bad about this you are not."

According to reports, eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.

News Source I'm not dumb I know some people really do need help and I wouldn't want anyone to go hungry. However when I see stories like this one I just want to scream, yell, and say what the fuck!! This is truly messed up and a prime example of what is wrong with government!!

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 8:38 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Where I live, they check bank accounts. If you have too much in your account then you won't get assistance. That's why people get bank accounts in like their kids names and cheat the system that way!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• That story makes me sick! I truly hate people like that.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I just read that article today! What I understood was that he did report his winnings however he still qualifies. To me that's a problem with our system.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• we have to show our bank accounts here in texas
    but there are a lot of things that make the system flawed.
    but how do we make it better and make it to where people can't abuse it??
    is there even a way that makes it foolproof??
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 8:55 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The system is totally flawed. This was on our local news.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I live in Michigan...

yet we are taking away thousands of dollars from the schools to balance the budget...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I saw that story. He is a jerk.
    Anonymous

• I saw that! He shouldn't be able to keep it. It's horrible, like an epidemic.
    These programs have been in the news so often that a radio personality in Houston is doing a contest. The people in his listening area, (Oregon, TX and Louisiana) can go out, research and do whatever kind of production they want to show how their states welfare or food stamp card is misused. I can't wait to see all the people they expose.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• That makes me sick. And here I had to submit so much documentation and jump through hoops just to get $200 per month for a family of six! I hated being on fs, but we really did need them, and I did really appreciate every bit of assistance we received. Because I am honest, I did things the right way, and I probably got far less than people who needed it less than we did. Yeah, the system sucks, and it really does need to be fixed somehow. Right now, I fear that the people who really need it are falling through the cracks, and these cheaters are getting what they don't deserve. My case fell through the cracks, but I wrote a letter to the head of DHHS to get my voice heard. It wasn't so much that I wanted to live off of other people, I just wanted to make sure other people who really needed it didn't get passed by like we almost did.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The story you linked said they are going through the process of taking his food stamps away. How is that broken? When FS are revoked, you are required by law to repay any amount you used that you were not qualified for.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:27 PM on May. 18, 2011