Anyone On Any Meds To Stop Smoking???

If so, which are you on? What are the side effects? The reason I ask, I am going to dr. tomorrow to talk with them about putting me on some medication to help me stop smoking. I have tried a few times to quit on my own, but didnt work. Any help would be great! Thanks!

ProudMommie87

Asked by ProudMommie87 at 8:47 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Health

• I have used Zyban(wellbutrin)...made me feel strange and Chantix made me flippen crazy(mood swings, nightmares)! I ended up using the nicotine patches and have't smoke in a few months. The only side effect I've had(if you can call it that) is that when I first put a patch on, it would itch like crazy for about a hour
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• if you don't have a lot of money, see if you state public health department has a quitting program. mine does, i'm in FL. i went and i got free nicotine replacement therapy.

if you want good information on the quitting smoking drugs, go to drugs.com and type in Zyban and Chantix, they have reviews of them from people who have used them.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i quit cold turkey almost 4 weeks ago, but my husband couldn't go cold turkey so he's been on the patch for almost a week now. seems to be going okay for him so far. i would really try every other thing out there before resorting to meds.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:00 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My boss uses the patch to quit, he has quit multiple times and had some long stretches, but his wife still smokes so he usually ends up caving in and smoking. But while he's on the patch he's really good about not smoking. My Dad took a prescription that I think is called Chantix and he has quit for the past two years almost. He really felt like the pill helped and I think it was the 2nd time he tried, the 1st time he only really quit for a week or so. My MIL also took the Chantix, she didn't quit successfully and the pill gave her stomach upset so she didn't last too long on it. That's all the feedback I can think of for you but best of luck. I am ashamed to say I smoke, the only thing that got me to quit was being pregnant and nursing, I didn't smoke once. My DH just up and quit cold turkey as a New Year's Resolution in 2008- amazing!- he says you have to decide you are a non-smoker and keep reminding yourself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:23 PM on May. 18, 2011