My 3 year old is afraid of everything; ants, the dark, flies, etc

My son was usually a good sleeper until the past 3 months. Progressively he started asking if 'bears will come in his room at night'? Assuming maybe the 3 Bears was misinterrupted we spend lots of time looking a pictures of where bears live and explaining that they are afraid of us also. It helped for a bit but then we moved. Now that we are in our new home it started full force. I am not sure if he is using this as a way to express he is just scared of the dark but he runs in my room every night at 12 and 4 am screaming for me to sleep on the couch so bears can't come in. We made colorful signs together which are comically posted on every door in the house for BEARS TO STAY OUT but to no avail.

Unfortunately, we also have a new fear of any bug to accompany this. It makes simple play times exhausting as he doesn't want to go any where unless it is checked for ants, bugs and god forbid a fly go by. He screams with such fear it breaks my heart.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have any suggestions which helped your family?
Thanks!

jbeyst

Asked by jbeyst at 9:21 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my four year started this recently ok first get him a night light if he don't have one, also keep telling he he safe, Also don't let me see you be afraid of anything he is afraid of, finally try not to pay to much attention to his fears as it attention he is wanting.. simply say " you are safe" each time he says I'm afraid.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• maiahlynn has a good point. It could be that your reaction at first was notice and your son is just getting your attention not necessarily that he is afraid of bugs. ToysRus have exploration kit sets it comes with a all the things that a child might need to go to nature adventure such as a net, a container to collect bugs, etc. It might work.
    About the new home. My oldest son took a week to get used to the new place. We had all of us to sleep in the same room.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:50 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We used nature kits as well and it really helped my DD get over her fears. NOW she triest to trap ANYTHING that moves and put it in her bug collector see-thru container. She ven asks what type things they eat and then will put that in there for them. Have you maybe tried watching some movies with him that portray bugs and such as just (maybe misunderstood) beings? My DD quit beibg scared of ants after we watched the movie ANTZ -- she now sems to understand better about their habitat. Same with bears. Try YOGI bear, the movie -- He is always trying to steal food, which is basically all a bear wants anyway -- :-) He would rather eat a sandwich than people! :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:40 PM on May. 18, 2011