Does Pop a Lock do this in your area?

I saw several posts about this recently on CM. When my son was around 2 yo, my friend drove us to the repair shop to pick up my car. While I was inside, she accidentally locked him in her car.

We called Pop a Lock and they came out and unlocked her car door, and it was free!

Now, maybe everybody doesn't have this in their area, but here's the website:

http://www.popalock.com/emergency_door_unlocking.php

It says to call 911 first if it is an emergency, but if the weather is not hot, or the baby is not choking, I can't see every situation being an emergency. It is worth checking out to see if you have PaL in your area beforehand, just to be prepared!

I know others have posted that the cops wouldn't respond unless the child was unconscious, and I can see why. You wouldn't want the cops responding to a non-emergency and then missing something important.

Anyway, thoughts on this? Hopefully the information will help somebody out.

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 9:25 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• if my kid is choking i would be on the phone with 911 while im breaking my window.. no need for pop a lock ...
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I locked my son in our van by mistake. I explained to the dispatcher that not only was he strapped in, but he's Autistic and would have a hard time following my directions. When the police arrived they told me that they no longer popped locks because after being helped, people would turn around and sue the PD for damage to the car!!! The fire dept showed up and I stated loud and clear that I give them permission to bust the window if they had to, I was not going to sue them, the temp was rising and he was sweating already. After about 30 minutes they popped the lock and said not to tell anyone because they weren't supposed to do that. I am grateful to that free service that saved my baby boy and less important, my wallet. Stupid people suing after being helped, it's ridiculous.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 9:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• this is a crapy little town i dont even think theres a pop a lock here. or even a lock smith close enough to get to a kid in a hot car in time... honestly if the police didnt unlock it, i would prob break my window before the lock smith got there lol i panic when it comes to stuff like that
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• aneya..... u could have pickd up a rock or a stick and broke ur own window.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• yeah, I think common sense would dictate in a choking situation, i was trying to give an example. need more coffee...

if someone has a seizure disorder, even a little heat can be dangerous, but i thought it would be good to get the info out there. in some places, the locksmith is probably closer than the cops. where i live it is very rural. if there's an accident, they're all dealing with that over on the highway, and in big cities, it can be the same. you could just know about it and call.
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on May. 18, 2011

• How do you lock a kid on a car? DOo you just leave your keys in your car? Yikes. I never do that ....and even so,I have two sets ,one in my pocket and one in my purse and never in my life have a locked anyone in my car. My oldest daughter has done it ( she locked her keys in her car...it was empty tho )--she made me come and unlock her car when she got out of work at 10 PM....just because I had a set of her keys..I was ticked off because I had to get up at 5:30 AM the next morning to go to work. I can't imagine doing that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:58 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Well, accidents do happen. Before I had my son, I used to lock my keys in my car all the time! Untreated ADD! And even now, I still lock myself out of the house on an average of once a month! I'm a pro! People get distracted, get moving fast, it just happens!
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Never heard of that. My dad's a locksmith, has been for 25-ish years.
    Anonymous

• Well, did you click on the link?
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on May. 18, 2011