What ae the chances of having twins when you didn't know you were pregnant with twins?

ok so I am 7 months pregnant as of yesterday and I look like I am about to have this baby. Everyone keeps asking me if I am sure I am only having one baby? I have gained 50 pounds already and that was 2 weeks ago so at the time I was 26 weeks pregnant. I also gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I had an ultrasound done at 8 weeks then again at 12 weeks and then at 20 weeks and then because I was measuring big he wanted to measure the baby 2 weeks ago the baby was measuring 2 pounds and 5 ounces already at 26 weeks. He didn't say anything about me being pregnant with twins. He knows everyone is joking or asking me about it, but anyway a friend said that her cousin through the whole pregnancy they only saw one baby and when she delivered ended up having twins. What is the chances of that? I am scared now that I am going to have this baby and then end up with a twin at delivery. What is the actual chance of that happening?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• everyone told me i was having twins when i carried my 2nd child. i was already hearing this around 5 months. i asked my doctor once, later in the pregnancy, and she said there was only one in there. i later had an amnio which also confirmed there to be only one. but up until the day i delivered, people told me i'd be having twins. well, they were wrong. i just had a 10 pound baby in there! but i have heard of people delivering 2 babies and the doctor not seeing the other one because i guess it's possible for one to hide behind the other? this is very rare though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• the chances of that are very slim, especially after having so many ultrasounds. but just a quick heads up....people always ALWAYS say that to me when i'm pregnant. always! it's not uncommon lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on May. 18, 2011

• oh this is also my 3rd baby. and 3rd girl
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i have 3 girls too :) cool!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The chances are slim but still possible. Honestly, you usually end up getting bigger the second time around. The doctor had my Hgc levels tested because of that too.. ended up just being one.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• With my third I was HUGE. Everyone swore I was having twins and not saying anything. Twins run both sides of the family.
    Anonymous

• yeah it's highly unlikely that it would happen - since ultrasound i have not heard of anyone having that happen that consistantly had prenatal visits - so in like 25 years not once
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 9:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• its unlikely. they should be able to hear two heart beats, beating at different rates
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My friends are twins. They did not know their mom was pregnant with twins until baby #2 started to come on out. They are 35 years old now though. I am sure their mom would know if it happened today.
    Anonymous

• ya they also listen to the heartbeat every single time I go in there
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 PM on May. 18, 2011