How do I get my 11 month old to sleep thru the night?

My 11 month old still wakes up very 2 to 3 during the night. He goes back to sleep quickly but I am so tired every morning from the constant sleep interuptions. I also have a 3 year old so it is hard to let the baby cry. I'm afraid he will wake his brother up. Any suggestions for a worn out mother?

butterflylp

Asked by butterflylp at 9:40 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby has always woken often and still wakes at least once or twice a night (she's two and a half!) so I co-sleep. With her next to me, she and I both go right back to sleep and wake up refreshed every morning. It's also nice bonding. Daddy doesn't much like the lack of privacy for him and me, but he can take a hike: I need sleep!!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Is he awake when he cries in the middle of the night? I know my son ( 1 yr) sometimes cries but he is asleep with his eyes closed. I found that letting him cry it out has helped. I also have a 5 yr old but she tells me she never hears him in the night..their rooms are right next to one another. Another thing if you continue to go in every time he cries he will continue to cry as he KNOWS you will come in and comfort him.

Try to let him cry for 5 min before going in..then the next night make it 10 min. Remember not to pick him up..just comfort him and tell him its night night time.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i say just ignore him. i did that to my daughter and it took her 3 days to stop waking up during the night. slept thru the night ever since.. i did this at 4 months..BYT she only cried for less than 5 mins before falling back asleep
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Just make sure that your child doesn't have any ailments before letting him CIO. IE teething, fever... Otherwise... let him CIO. To make it easier on me... I would actually turn the monitor off. If my boys fussed and I didn't hear it, it was no big deal. If they really needed me, I would hear them crying. Sometimes kids just fuss a bit while they are trying to fall back to sleep. If you son is used to you going to get him, he will cry loudly at first. By day 3 things will be looking up. By the end of a week, he should be sleeping soundly through the night.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 11:17 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i agree with judimary! Co sleep and get your rest!! I used to deal with the same issue with my son. I tried the Ferber Method, didn't work! Being a cranky, crabby, crying, sleep deprived mom isn't good for either one of you. So do what works for you and your family.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yeah, co-sleeping...it's probably not the greatest habit to get into...but if you're really sleep deprived, give it a try...I never could do the whole ignoring them routine...I actually like co-sleeping and havin my baby next to me at night....it helps him sleep better, and me too
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 11:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• This is for those that suggest co-sleeping. Will that be a hard habit to break later? I would do anything at this point to get some sleep but I don't want to start something that will be hard to get out of later.
    butterflylp

Comment by butterflylp (original poster) at 3:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My cousin co-slept with both of hers and right at 12-14 months when she stopped nursing, she moved them into a crib. It was hell for about a week, but then they did great :) It may be worth it!
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2011