Christian mommies: Do your kids say their blessings before eating?

I am happy to announce that my 4 yr old says her blessing.... by herself, without me having to remind her, before every meal and before going to bed at night =) I'm so proud of her!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 9:45 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• wow im glad u posted this...my daughter is 1 and i havent even thought of doing this yet.. when did u start this with ur kid?? i am a single mom that lives w my mother and her bf. and i hate to say this but we dont pray before dinner but i am deff going to do so when my daughter gets a little older and understands.i do pray every night before i fall asleep but for some reason just dont think about it during dinnner.we all did when i was a kid tho.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:06 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Not a Christian, but still do a blessing. My DS learned it at school, so he likes to share it (To the tune of Are You Sleeping)

"Lets be Thankful. Lets be Thankful.
    Lets be Glad. Lets be Glad
    For the Many Good Things. For the Many Good Things
    That we have. That we have"
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My daughter (5) says a prayer that they do in preschool every night before we eat dinner as a family.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• nope. i want them to pray b/c they want to...not b/c its that time of day. dont get me wrong, if they want to pray before eating their meals they can but im not going to raise them to pray at certain times. that and i grew up w/ a meals & nighttime prayer family & it led to not praying except at those times...i dont want that for my kids.

that and they're only 2 & 1 month.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:25 PM on May. 18, 2011

• We're not Christian, but we pray before our evening meal, giving thanks and showing respect for the living things that died in order for us to have our meal. Usually our second son says the prayer; we used to take turns but then he doesn't mind doing it and the others prefer not to so it's become his contribution to our evening routine. :)

judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Oh and for the record, just because our children learn to say a prayer at their meals, doesn't mean that they think that's the only time they can pray. They pray at many times throughout the day for various reasons.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:12 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My 6 year old no she wants to eat and play and is in such a hurry she forgets. Now my 2 year old loves food and i make fun because thats the ONLY time she will pray is for her food without me asking. I tell my dh i dont know if shes praying to the food or thanking God!
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I have to say my 6 year old loves to pray for people. If we are driving and theirs an accident oh mommy can we pray for them, or when we see a homless person mommy can we pray for them. Her heart is for people not food like my youngest lol
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:53 AM on May. 19, 2011

• @cnv....hmmm I don't remember when we started lol...I didnt use to pray before dinner, just before bed but when my daughter started talking really well I thought it would be a good idea...she just says a basic "Thankyou Jesus for this food, in Jesus name, Amen"...we said it together for about a month and one day she said she could do it by herself lol...she's been doing it ever since...impressed my MIL who is never impressed by anything LOL
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on May. 18, 2011

• nope. i want them to pray b/c they want to...not b/c its that time of day. dont get me wrong, if they want to pray before eating their meals they can but im not going to raise them to pray at certain times. that and i grew up w/ a meals & nighttime prayer family & it led to not praying except at those times...i dont want that for my kids. [okmanders]

you rock

I just had to say that! I love that attitude. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:50 PM on May. 18, 2011