Are there any other alternatives besides soy and milk formula?

I have had to supplement breastfeeding due to health issues. I just recently switched my daughter to soy formula because she was getting pretty bad eczema. she cleared up almost immediately but now (about a week later) its starting to come back.
Are there any other options?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 9:54 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can have nutramigen but its pretty pricey (ok very pricey depending where you go). i used it with my son because he is allergic to dairy an soy. he finally grew out of his soy allergy an is now on silk milk.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• also i would check with your dr to see if the ezcema is caused by the milk.. it may also be really sensitive skin to the products you use (laundry soap lotion an soaps etc.)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:57 PM on May. 18, 2011

• HM4HB(Human Milk 4 Human Babies)....you could get another mommas milk donated for her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son had to be on Alimentum (also expensive) until he was 2! He had a milk and soy allergy. Eczema is usually related to food allergies so like pp said I would check with the Dr. and have some allergy testing done. My son has outgrown the soy allergy (at 2) but still has the milk allergy at 3.5
    The3Vs

Answer by The3Vs at 10:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• goats milk... check out adelle davis' book lets have healthy children, has a formula you can make at home just sub cow's milk for goats milk..
    my daughter was on it couldnt tolerate cows milk or commercial formula.. cdc analyzed it when she was 2 months old in the hospital with pnuemonia... said it was the closest thing to breast milk they could find... idk bout now, but is worth a shot.. cost about 50 bucks to buy base ingridients.. plus the cost of the goats mil, meyenburg brand..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 10:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my sister's baby is severely allergic to both milk protien and soy... she couldn't even take the alimentum. Her pediatrician referred them to GI specialists and because of the extent of the reaction (the baby was having blood in her stool from her stomach being so irritated) they put her on a prescription formula called neocate. It is twice the price of alimentum (the same size can is $45/can) but little Jenna is happy and healthy now. I would definately try to find out what is causing the eczema... my experience with milk/soy protein issues have always been tummy related.
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 10:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Because humans and goats are similar in size, their milk is very similar too. My cousin was fed goats milk. He was allergic to everything else you could feed a baby back in the 50's.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If i were you, I'd first find out from the Dr if the eczema is related to the milk. And if so, Nutramagin is a hypoallergenic formula that your Dr may recommend. BTW, there are generic equivalents that are exactly the same.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• And if you don't mind delving into doing more breastfeeding, what kind of health issues? Most are not incompatible with continued nursing,unless we're talking cancer treatment or open chest surgery or certain pyschotropic meds.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I also say, if you don't mind us asking, what kind of problems were you having that you felt it was necessary to supplement? We can help you get back to exclusive nursing, IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT. Alternatives are donor milk, amino acid based formula, and after 12 mos of age, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk, even just water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:16 PM on May. 19, 2011