How do I help my baby drink from a sippy cup??

I'm having trouble getting my 1 year old to drink from a sippy cup. I've been trying to get him to drink formula, water, and diluted juice from it for about six months. He knows how to hold it and bring it to his mouth, he just doesn't know how to suck from the spout -- he chews on it instead. I took out the spill proof valve, but that didn't help. After a while he just gets mad and tosses the cup to the side. Help!

LittleCsMommy

Asked by LittleCsMommy at 9:59 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've tried every kind of cup out there: hard spout, soft spout, with and without the valve, straw cups, even transition cups
    LittleCsMommy

Comment by LittleCsMommy (original poster) at 10:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i was gonna say soft spouted but i see u tried that...hmmm.. will he drink from it if ur holding it?
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Try a regular cup...skip the sippy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 PM on May. 18, 2011

• does he drink from a cup without a lid?
    there are those take and toss kind that you don't have to suck from, but they aren't spill proof either
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Try holding the water in the straw by placing your finger over the top hole of the straw and then bringing the straw to his mouth. Still try to get him to suck on the straw while allowing the water to fall from the straw. But this will teach him that something will come out of the straw...
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 10:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son didn't get to use a sippy cup. I didn't buy them. What I did was to let him observe me first and then use my cup. He used to grab it. Children are so eager to grow up and become the big kid so they are going to try as much as possible to imitate the adults. So I was saying that my son started using regular cup. I put just a drip of juice or water in case he decided to till his head all the way back. Don't worry about spilling the liquids. Kids learn very fast. Some kids prefer to drink from the cup instead of sippy cup.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:07 PM on May. 18, 2011

• He will try to drink from a cup, but I hold it for him and he sticks his tongue over the cup. I have tried the straw also. I even have a sippy that comes with a bottle nipple and a sippy nipple, so I am so confused on what to try next. Maybe I should ask his doctor.....
    LittleCsMommy

Comment by LittleCsMommy (original poster) at 10:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The ones with the straw that flips up are very easy for kids to drink from. My niece had low muscle tone and that's what she used when she weaned from a bottle.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:16 PM on May. 18, 2011