Are boys a slower learner next to girls?

Are boys slower at verbal learning? My son is 13 months and he babbles still. Im fine with that. He says ma and mommy when he is crying only. no Dada or daddy. No other words. But hes physically capable to climb on anything. destroy, stuff, throw chairs on the floor, yell, scream, laugh, chase you, run quick. He is smart when you want to put a jacket on. he looks at you and then runs away from you and laughs. My Best friends daughter same age but talks more. Learned to walk late. What does everyone think? is it scientifically known boys learn slower when learning to talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Isn't that like saying people with brown eyes are smarter than people with blue lol
    Anonymous

• Not necessarily. My little man is a total talker, but that's just his personality. His best friend is very quiet, always has been, but now that he's a little older, once you get him talking, he's very social and has great verbal skills. His mama was worried, too, but he got there in his own time. Try not to worry too much! Kids do these things when they're ready.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It all has to do with the kid individually. Two of my sons were early talkers and they youngest wasn't. I always worry that he is behind, but know he isn't when I see him around other babies his age. He is right on track with his milestones, but not as advanced as the other two were.
    My older sister didn't talk at all until she was three.

It has less to do with gender than just different abilities for different kids. I am sure your LO is fine, if you are worried you can talk to his doc about it, but he sounds right on track to me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• mine is 19mos and still doesn't speak... he has had ear issues though for like 9mos. we just had our second set of tubes put in so we are hoping this helps. My two previous kids (one boy, one girl) both talked at 1 year and the two before that (one boy, one girl) talked much later due to autism. I think it depends on the kiddo. I know that if there are other siblings in the home they tend to be later talkers sometimes because the big kids talk for them. LOL.
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 10:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It has to do with what skill they are developing first... Your son is developing his motor skills first. His brain is learning soooo much. Most children advance quicker in one aspect or another. If a child learns to talk early, usually their motor skills are secondary. Not that they are delayed in any way. Each child develops at his/her own pace.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 10:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Um..nope. My son spoke sentences by 12 months and paragraphs by 18 months. He had a very extensive vocabulary and complex speaking skills.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 PM on May. 18, 2011

• My son is exactly the same, though he is fourteen months! A friend of mine had a little girl two day after my son was born. She talks up a storm, but does not have the motor skills my son has, who doesn't talk much. We just laugh about the stereotypical boy and girl differences. I'm sure her little girl will get the motor skills when she is ready, just as I'm sure our boys will talk soon enough. :)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:14 PM on May. 18, 2011

• This goes back to the "all kids are different" thing. It's true. My neice didn't really even try to talk much until she was almost 2 but was a little daredevil whirlwind around the house (at 18 months she could almost out-run her 3 year old sister). I know another little boy who was pulling together 3 word sentences like "I wa mik" around 13 months and was REALLY interested/effected in people's emotions (aren't girls supposed to be the empathetic ones?). There have been some studies showing that the action centers of boys brains tend to be busier than girls at the same age, and girl's language centers are generally busier than boys, but I'm not sure of HOW MUCH busier and even those researchers don't really know what impact this has on daily things. Just try to stop comparing your kid to others, and enjoy their individual personality.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Sebbiemama i was never comparing my kids to any other kids. It was a normal general question. All i wrote was what my son does and what her daughter does. That isnt comparing. Nobody said i wasnt enjoying my own kid. Anyways. I think boys tend to learn slower then girls and i think it can be scientifically proven period.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on May. 19, 2011