Newborn breastfeeding issues

My baby is 3 days old. She was 6lbs 1oz at birth, 5lbs 11oz when we left the hospital yesterday, and 5lbs 4oz at her dr appt today. She had been eating well (I think) and pooping after each feed until this afternoon. Now I guess my milk is in because my boobs are huge and hurt really really bad. They are leaking so I know there is something there, but she is drinking less and not nursing nearly as long as she was before. Also twice tonight she spit up like yellowish spit up, which really concerns me. It's 10:25 and I don't know what to do or who to call. And I have tried pumping but I'm not getting anything even though I'm leaking...I'm so confused and worried about my baby, should I call someone because of the spitting up?

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 10:28 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your concerned....call, sorry i dont have more to say. good luck momma!
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Spitting up is normal. Is it possible the breast pump isn't working correctly? Sometimes when i had too much milk baby couldn't nurse until after i pumped a little because it would actually come out so much it would choke them.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• relax she can feel that your upset if you can't get milk out maybe you need to try a different way nursing is something you learn and your baby learns too so relax and try a warm rag on your breast if it gets too engorged and you can't express it just go take a very warm shower when you relax your milk will pour out!!!!!! don't worry you'll make more!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 10:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Actually, all of that sounds about right. She's probably not nursing as long because she's getting the fire hose when she does nurse! Same for the spitup- that's probably because she's getting a lot really fast, so she swallows some air. Babies typically lose up to 10% of their birth weight, and if your ped didn't seem concerned with her weight today, I wouldn't stress too much. Don't pump yet, because it will interfere with your supply/demand. The first month your breasts are getting acclimated to nursing and trying to get the hang of things, as well as figuring out how much they'll need to make. Is she still peeing? As long as she has at least 6 wet diapers a day, she's in the clear. Her poops may start slowing down some, as she's transitioning from meconium to normal poops. They'll go green, then go mustardy yellow. Hang in there, mama, you'll find your rhythm soon! Hugs!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Babies usually do lose weight before they gain. However use your gut. There is risk of Reflux in babies so that can cause them to lose also. Call dr if you are at all concerned! breastfeeding is tricky and at times can be disappointing while you get the hang of it. I always worried if they were getting enough milk! Use the guide they go by for wet and dirty diapers and you should be ok. GL momma!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If your milk is leaking a lot, you may be overwhelming her. If she is gagging on the milk, it could be coming too fast... that's normal and will slow down in a few days. If you can't pump, at least try hand expressing some to soften your breast before she latches on, that might help. Just don't watch the clock. For the first few weeks, you will go nuts if you try to feed every 2 -4 hours.... you are better off just offering your breast as often as possible. After about 2 weeks, you will find a routine. It's normal for weight to go down, but since she is so tiny, you def want to feed her as often as possible to get her weight back up. The spit up could be normal if she spit up colostrum, which is yellowish. If it is still yellow after another day or two, def call the pediatrician. Otherwise, just take a deep breath and offer your breast all the time!! Good Luck!
    mlivlee

Answer by mlivlee at 10:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Exactly what musicpices and mlivlee said.

Pumps are NOT a good indicator of milk supply
    babies DO lose around 10% of body weight at first.
    Go to "Kellymom.com" and look up "Overactive letdown"

Hand express some milk out first before you let baby latch on. Let her feed off that one side until she herself pulls away. Next feeding, let her feed off the other side until she pulls away. Put her on the breast every time she makes a peep. She will get into a routine and so will you....but, do not watch the clock, watch her cues and her diapers. She will start to eat non stop once she starts having a growth spurt...don't worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:49 PM on May. 18, 2011

• When your breasts are engorged which is normal when you are starting breastfeeding mom might feel a rise on her body temperature like fever. There is going to be pain and discomfort too. You can take a pain killer ask the pharmacist there are OTCs available that can help. Going back to the symptoms, these same symptoms can make you feel uneasy. Continue pumping and try using your hands to express use a big container so you aren't worry to spill milk all over the floor. About matching PP have already given great advice. Hope you feel better tomorrow. We'll be here.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• *about latch... I hate spell correctors.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with all of the above. But I want to add, I had trouble nursing both my sons. I went to a lactation consultant... a very skilled and intelligent one. She told me my sons were "tongue tied". I immediately made an appt with a specialist at a Children's Hosp near us and the boys had their "tongue's clipped". It sounds worse then it is... The dr numbs the string under the tongue and cuts it back just a little. Both my boys nursed immediately afterward. The nursing improved over the next few weeks and we were pros by week 3...

Most pediatricians aren't looking for a "tongue tie". BF is not the norm anymore... and "tongue ties" do not effect bottle fed babies. They do however prevent an infant from cupping the nipple correctly which allows them to receive enough nurishment. And yes it is very possible that for the first couple days you didn't notice it... I didn't get concerned until my little ones starting losing weight.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 11:00 PM on May. 18, 2011