My kid's lunch boxes smell.

My kids have soft-sided lunch boxes that zip closed. They're insulated with a plastic lining. They say to wipe them clean. Well, the bottles of milk I sent to school leak every now and again and the lunch boxes smell like sour milk. I have tried hand washing them with dish detergent and rinsing under running water. They still smell pretty bad. With only a month of school left, I don't want to ruin them. Any thoughts on how to get the smell out?

JSD24

Asked by JSD24 at 10:30 PM on May. 18, 2011 in

• I put ours in the washing machine. We have had a couple that were beyond clean though!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Have you tried Baking Soda?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• oxyclean laundry (on the fabric part) and throw them inside out into the regular washing machine. Let them air dry. If that doesn't work, vinegar takes out odor - yes, it will smell funky until it dries but once it dries the odor goes away. Works on carpet too...
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 10:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• What I do with my DD's lunch box is soap it down real well and they 'hose' it down with the sprinkler thing on the hardest setting with hot water and letter it air dry.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I'd go with the baking soda idea.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:22 AM on May. 20, 2011

• try vinegar and baking soda it works wonders
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• First thing-find better containers for the milk to go in! For the smell, maybe a splash of bleach mixed with water, dab on a cloth and wipe out. After its dry, go over with hot water so that there is no bleach residue left.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:55 AM on May. 21, 2011

Next question in
Subject, School

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Newborn breastfeeding issues