How do you teach/ get a child to respect you?

How do you get a child to respect you?
A child really knows how to backtalk & sas & give attitude.
What do you do so they will respect you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Never let my emotions take control. I show respect and expect it back. If it isn't shown, the kid becomes a child with no house rights....meaning they lose all privileges and have to earn them back.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:44 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I believe you teach that by showing it yourself. It shows in how you treat your child/other family members and anyone else. Children generally learn what they live (not in all cases). So when they get sassy, I would tell them that is not a nice way to talk to or treat me and I do not appreciate it -- I would then send her/him to their room until they can learn "to be respectful." Telling my DD that she has hurt my feelings really seems to work with mine!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:48 PM on May. 18, 2011

• You start when they are very small. You make rules, and when they break your rules, you spank their behinds. You spank them just hard enough to make them feel the sting of their disobedience and disrespect. You tell them that Mommy and Daddy love them way too much to allow them to grow up to be disrespectful and disobedient to their parents and to other adults who are in charge of them. Then you give them a hug and a kiss on the cheek and go on about your business. I assure you that this method works. Unless there is pain associated with disrespect, a child will insist on having his own way, and when you get in his way, you will not be treated very well at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with you bradenlsmyson
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:47 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree nanny!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:59 PM on May. 18, 2011

• my example, stay calm and they will learn to calm themselves and react appropriately.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:13 PM on May. 18, 2011

• "Unless there is pain associated with disrespect, a child will insist on having his own way, and when you get in his way, you will not be treated very well at all. "

pain initiates fear.. FEAR is NOT respect.. there is a difference.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:15 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i tell mine that if they cant ask me nicely for what they want or speak to me nicely, they can just not talk to me... their choice..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:26 PM on May. 18, 2011

• "How do you teach/get respect?What do you do so they will respect you?" Behave respectfully to them, & treat them with respect. When upset or in conflict, behave respectfully & responsibly. (I mean own your feelings, take responsibility for them, speak to your child in a way that acknowledges this, don't spread blame around.) It helps to take yourself seriously, which means not forgetting/losing yourself in the equation.
    A lot of what I read in the suggestions sounds like demanding respect. It may or may not work, depending on multiple variables. If it does work with a particular child, I believe it comes at a cost. I don't think control/force is such a healthy dynamic, & I think internal motivations (a child behaving well because she feels good, being respectful because she FEELS respectful & kind, not out of fear because she's learned what won't be accepted/what WILL be punished) are important.
    Sounds like you're frustrated?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You have to start early. When my LO gives me attitude I grab her face and make her look at me and tell her "That attitude is disrespectful and will not be tolerated".
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:55 PM on May. 18, 2011