How would you deal with this?

Recently my 4 yr old has been making a habit of sneaking her food under the table for the dog....I've told her a thousand different times in a thousand different ways not to feed the dog...today when I caught her doing it, I did something I've never done before and never thought I would ever do. I sent her to bed without eating...I AM NOT going to put the dog outside or in another room while she's eating, she needs to learn to do as I say.

How would you deal with this situation? She KNOWS that this is something she is not supposed to do and she did it anyway...I sat here and watched her do it and watched her jump in surprise when she looked up and seen me looking at her. What do you think is an appropriate punishment?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 10:48 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Going to bed without dinner was totally acceptable. I believe that if you do it a few more times she may get the hint and stop feeding the dog.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:51 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree with coala. If you told her before and told her many times and she won't listen maybe this will make it "real" for her. She's not going to starve. You are NOT being a bad parent. You ARE enforcing the fact that you have a rule and you are the parent. Good Job!
    infmansgirl

Answer by infmansgirl at 10:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I would let her know that there are some foods that can hurt, or even kill the dog (if you are ready to address death with her), and I would try to get the dog to stop begging if you can. I know that isn't easy; our dog begs all of the time, and it is really hard to ignore him!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If she's givig the dog her food then she's not that hungry n won't b affected by the punishment. The dog asking her for food n she's giving it. Ur dog shouldn't be in the kitchen or dining room when ur eating. She will eventually learn not to feed the dog but right now she feels as though she is doing the right thing
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• look at it like this..lol..at least your kid doesnt put their food in the toilet to get their dessert..and still does it even when there is no dessert offered..or at a restaurant when he wants to leave he starts throwing food under the table idk what to do either sorry hun i bumped ya!!
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 10:56 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i think going to bed without dinner is an appropriate punishment. My parents used to do it to me if i refused to eat. I do it to my 4 year old when he refuses to eat. He doesnt feed our dogs but sometimes he just chooses not to eat. So i give him a warning that if he doesnt eat now, at dinner time, then im throwing his food away and i WILL NOT be fixing him anything else for the rest of the night. and he won get any dessert either.
    With the dog situation, i would say teach both the dog and the child to correct their behavior. I try to keep my dogs outside while we are eating cause my dog wont stop begging and i dont want a stinky dog hanging around the table while im trying to eat. . But a few more dinnerless nights may very well teach your DD not to feed the dog. As long as your firm with it and dont give in.
    Rylansmommy386

Answer by Rylansmommy386 at 11:05 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i think the dog shouldn't be around the table.. out of sight out of mind.
    idk what to tell ya.. i'm sure she'll start to understand your teaching.. your mama.. your always right. :)
    Good Luck
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 10:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Consistency pays off. Your child will learn that there are consequences for not following your instructions. Too bad the dog is going to miss its food supplier.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:02 PM on May. 18, 2011

• lol my son was hiding his lunch behind the couch for a while. Our couch is situated in near the heating vents. You better believe he was not eating and in his bed screaming he was hungry the last time he did that.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:04 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I agree in teaching our kids to listen to what we say... but, she's a kid. And she probably feels bad when the dog begs for food.
    RCape

Answer by RCape at 11:05 PM on May. 18, 2011