Is 9 to young to send to grandmas and grandpas for the summer?

He's almost 10 and really wants to go see his grandparents (700 miles away) for the summer. DH doesn't think its a good idea. Idk I've never been away from him for more then a day or so in his whole life.

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 11:07 PM on May. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you are worried about it being too long, what about only sending him for a couple of weeks? I don't think I could send my child for the whole summer, but could probably be okay with two weeks.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:09 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think a week or 2 is plenty. I've been the counselors at summer camp for 7-9 yr olds. They can get pretty homesick even when surrounded by wonderful activities. Grandma and Grandpa may not be up to the whole summer either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Hell by 6 yrs old my daughter was flying 2000 miles to visit her dad for the summer and she didn't know him all that well and did fine.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:12 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I say go for it... We plan to send all 3 of ours (8, 9, and 15) to their Grandparents next summer for a month. It won't hurt him, and he can have some bonding time with them. If they're close I don't see a reason not to. Maybe send him, see how he's feeling about a week into it, and just take it from there. He may love it, and want to stay longer.. 700 miles isn't really that far.. My inlaws are 2000+ miles away, and our boys can't wait..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:16 PM on May. 18, 2011

• If you trust your parents to take care of your kids....it would be great for everyone around. The grandparents get the joy of being around grandkids and your kids will be happy to see you at the end of the summer. I have five kids...and every summer they went to visit grandparents....a love that is like no other. They have very fond memories. I did miss them terribly....but the kids had a blast and would not have wanted it any other way. :)
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 11:19 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Heck NO! We used to go to my grandparents 2 hours away for the summer from about age 7... it was cheaper them summer camp, and as a result we were super close to them. We had experiences we would never have had as latch key kids at home all summer!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:36 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think maybe try a week or two see how he likes it and if he wants to stay I say go for it lol he will be fine do you. Trust your parents or you just think you are goting to miss him when I was little I was 6 and my parents left me with my grandmother for a mounth I would cry every day lol but 10 he should be ok lol
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 1:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My mom would take us 3 kids to see her mother for about a month out of the summer. I think I was 2nd grade when she started that? I don't remember, its been SOOOOOOOOOO long ago. It stopped when my Grandma moved out of that house and into another town (and by that time, I was tween-age).

I think it would be a great bonding experience for them. If I could, and my mom could do it, I would totally have my kids spending a month with her during the summer. But, she works (my grandma was retired already), and my dad wouldn't be able to take care of them himself. My kids are 10, 7, 5, and 4.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I think i'm going to try it.. but we'll talk about a few weeks and see how he likes it there.. idk if he would get homesick or not cause he's always around me.. but he told me yesterday "MOM , i'm growing up your gonna have to let me go at some point" lol after reading some of you alls ideas .. its not a bad idea for him to go for a little bit. and well if he's having a good time i might extend his stay.. but i don't want to miss out on him for the whole summer.. .. He's my little clown.. he always trys to cheer me up when i'm down . .. or just to make me laugh for no reason.. .. LOL after reading this i think he's probably ready to go.. its ME who is going to have the separation anxiety!!
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My daughter goes to her grandparents for two weeks, and that's plenty. She's begging to come back home by then.....lol
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 1:11 AM on May. 19, 2011