How do I deal with an obese spouse who won't get help?

My husband is very overweight, smokes, drinks, and does not exercise at all. I am very active and pretty fit. How do I help him without making him feel I am critical and judgemental? I love him, but I am scared for his health.

Cocoanut1215

Asked by Cocoanut1215 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Health

• My first thought is don't put out. If you make him feel like you are not attracted to him then maybe he will get the idea. BUT I know that wont work. He has to see for himself and want the change in himself. He can't do it for you, he has to do it for him. Unfortunately, that is really hard to make someone see. I fought that battle with my ex-husband since before we were married but his was the opposite, he was waaay underweight.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I bet if he had his blood pressure taken it would be high, and most of it is from what he does or doesn't do. Sometimes it takes a scare in us to fix ourselves.let him know that high BP isn't a joke and its life threatening.Get one of those at home ones
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Talk to him about it and say you are worried and is he wanting to do anything about it? If he is you could help him but if he isnt you have to accept him for him and just lead by example. Hopefully he will one day want to follow.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Fix a healthy meal for him, thats a start.
    Anonymous