Best breastfeeding book?

Breastfeeding was a horrible experience with baby #1 and I want to have a better time with #2. What books do you recommend?

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 11:24 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure but I think that La Leche League offers free books.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• The Motherly Art of Breastfeeding. Its an old book but I liked it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I read so many, I honestly couldn't recommend one. I'd say try the library, and look for one that has pictures, cause it's alot easier to understand what they're talking about when you can actually see a demonstration. I'd recommend taking a class too. I went to a free one that was offered through WIC and it really helped me alot. I tried unsuccessfully to breastfeed with my 1st child, but I was able to do it this time around with my 2nd, after all of the reading and classes. It was a little hard in the beginning, because no matter how many books you read or classes you take, your baby will still have to learn how to do it too. But if you just stick with it, ya'll will get the hang of it eventually. And it's totally worth all the trouble lol.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 11:41 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding....awesome.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 PM on May. 18, 2011

• So that's what they're there for, The womaly art of Breastfeeding. Try to attend a La Leche League in your area. They love pregos and newborns and the leaders are usually aailable to call for advice between meetings. I had a hard time with #1 and nursed him until a little before 2 months old. I attended LLL, read everything I could online and now #2 is still nursing at 11 months. Feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:21 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Ina May's Breastfeeding and Bonding.

But books don't help nearly as much as the advice from other mothers and a GOOD lactation consultant. When you deliver in a hospital, you generally can have one or two free meetings with the hospital lactation consultant. A Midwife is a great person to ask for help,and if they can't give it, they'll refer you. Oddly, I've had wonderful advice from talking with my baby's pediatrician...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:59 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I found that my LC was the biggest help. I also joined a nursing mother's group. Do call your local La Leche League if you have a problem. I haven't read it, but there is a Breastfeeding for Dummies book. Those can be helpful.

Read up while you'e pregnant, you'll not have time after your baby is born.  The library has lots on breastfeeding.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

• "So That's What Theyre For" by Janet Tamaro.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding by LLL and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May Gaskin. I've also heard wonderful things about the book G recommended.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:08 PM on May. 19, 2011