Trying to avoid induction (41 weeks 4 days pregnant)

They are inducing me on Monday (42 weeks) if I don't go on my own before then. I do NOT want to go that route.

I was thinking about using my breast pump and having a lot of sex because those seem like the most natural ways to start labor.

Any input, experience, or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on May. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Unless you are experiencing distress, or the baby is *very* obviously in severe distress, simply do not go in. You WILL go into labor when your body is ready, IF you give yourself time. NO ONE can force you to be induced, they can only do to you what you allow them to. You're not "overdue" until 42 weeks- furthermore, unless you know the exact moment of conception and implantation, your ESTIMATED due date can be (and usually is) weeks off.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:27 PM on May. 18, 2011

• you can try stripping membranes before inducing, that only makes sense
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:30 PM on May. 18, 2011

• walking can sometimes induce labor...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:32 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Walk, sex, sound like fun options. I read that the breast thing can cause really hard labor...so be careful. I like what ObbieDobbie said
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:33 PM on May. 18, 2011

• It isn't that I don't want this baby out, but I have heard induction is much more painful. I am also certain about the weekend I conceived, so I know that I'm not too far off from my due date, so if I can get this started on my own I would prefer it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i think that there is hardly any babies that are born when they are ready because Doctors are inducing happy.. i was induced with my second son 2 weeks early because it was convenient for the doctor.. the pitocin put him in distress .. his heart stopped and they had a hard time getting him to come back.. so they took me in for emergency C-section .. sorry if i made this sound like a horrible horrible story but i just don't agree with inductions just because of my son. I hope you all the best and really sometimes if its not happening on its own it might be the only way for you and baby to be healthy. Good Luck hope everything works out for you.. and that you get to go into labor on your own =)
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:35 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Walk!!! Walk!!! Walk!!! Worked for me.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 11:38 PM on May. 18, 2011

• I was induced with both of my boys, it isn't that bad if the hospital u go knows what they are doing. It can be very pleasant and easy. Don't worry to much about induction, just make sure you tell the staff just what you want to be done if they can
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 11:39 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Honestly, unless your body and baby is ready....nada will work. relax and don't go in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Going past 42 weeks can be dangerous for mother and child. It's good to go with the natural if at all possible, but honey if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. DO have them strip your membranes - it is painful from what I have heard, but better than pitocin if it works. DO go with the sex, the breast pumping, and lots and lots of walking.
    Unfortunately I did the sex and walking, and regardless I stayed in labor for 4 days and had to have the pitocin. It was not that bad. I got an epi at 8cm but up to that point really had very little pain at all. Natural vaginal birth, small tear but no problems. Everything went perfectly.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:53 PM on May. 18, 2011