How can I increase my milk supply by just pumping, and not breastfeeding?????

glennysmd

Asked by glennysmd at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• good question! i'd like to know too. i pump every 3-5 hours and can't do it any more often. i don't really want to take anything that could potentially harm my baby.
    Anonymous

• Fenugreek and mother's milk can help. I used fenugreek alone and seemed to be pumping enough milk to feed all the starving babe's of the world. Pumping more often helps, but for the poster who didn't have time just adding an extra 5 minutes to each session can do wonders.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Running the pump for a few minutes after you're not getting any milk sends your body a signal that it needs to make more. I would also try to pump 1/2 hour after pumping. You only get a tiny bit more, but it also sends signals to make more milk. The trick is that once your supply is up you have to keep pumping often to keep it up.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• FREQUENCY of pumping is vital. It's a commitment of every 2-3 hours around the clock.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group; there's a sticky on increasing supply at the top of the board.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree....DD was in Children's Hospital for a heart defect and I had to pump 8-12 times a day...at first, I was getting just 2 little syringes...in the end (when it was time for us to go home) I was pumping 2 and 1/2 8 oz bottles at each pumping...I had pumped so much that we had 3 garbage bags full of frozen milk....it's all about how often you pump and relaxing...oh, and massage...DH would massage my breasts during the pumpings....it worked wonders....
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 7:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• What kind of pump are you using? How often are you pumping?

You should be using a hospital grade pump, Lactina, Symphony, one of those. You should be pumping every 2-3 hours. You should be eating when you are hungry and drinking when you are thirsty. Try to have things that remind you of your baby around to stimulate let down. A picture, a tape of his/her cries, a shirt or blanket that smells like them...
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You pump every 2 hours on the dot no matter what even at night until youa re making enough to supply 24-30 oz a day. Eat oatmeal, drink 60 oz of liquids, take 9-12 fenugreek daily, drink mothers milk tea 3-5 daily, and pump pump pump, its never too late to put the baby to the breast either see a LC about that. Oh and make sure to use a doubel electric pump by ameda or medela
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• OATMEAL!
    Anonymous