What is your best low budget meal?

Since the economy is the way it is, we have all had to cut back. Therefor, we all must learn to make cheap meals for our families.

Well, this one recipe my kids and my DF love.

I use boneless thin pork chops and I cut the chops in to cubes, small squares,
Then I cook the chops in light oil and season with usuall just salt, pepper, onion powder,
Once the chops are close to being down I add just about a tblspn of water and a generous amount of Pato sauce and Tomato sauce.
When the sauce is hot enough I add corn. Loose corn from the can.
I allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes.

I usually serve this with mash potatoes or you can also do spanish rice.
There is no going wrong with this meal. Its easy simple and takes about 30 mins.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 12:48 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My mom used to make this meal when I was at home, and its the first thing I ever cooked for DH.. its.hamburger meat and baked beans(or whatever kjnd you like) you brown the hamburger meat in skillet, the drain and put back on stove and add your beans!!! Soooo good(: my hunny and kids loveeeee it(: easy and cheap(: the beans really add flavor to the meat. Try it and tell me what you think.
    txmommy75939

Answer by txmommy75939 at 12:54 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Turkey taco salad. 1 pound of ground turkey taco meat from Wal Mart costs $1.25. Lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, etc. Serves 4 for under $5.00
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:55 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I spent $10 making a lasanga that lasted 3 days and 2 servings leftover 2 freeze
    I can do a pot roast roast with potatoes and carrots for $7 and make it last 2 or 3 days
    meatloaf and mashed potatoes is cheap also, and that lasts 2 days
    but for super cheap you can do tuna sandwiches and tomato soup but use store brand names
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• chicken salad
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Breakfast for lunch or dinner super cheap super yummy and very filling
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 1:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• parmesan asiago feta (cheeses) over rigate penne pasta. with mushrooms and broccoli
    Cheeses/cheese mix of choice ($4.00 and up)
    1 box rigate penne, (as low as $1)
    1/4-1/2 lb Broccoli (depends on $pr lb)
    1/4lb Mushrooms (I use fresh, could use canned $3lb)
    garlic, salt pepper Italian seasonings, pepper, butter olive oil, etc.(cheap is assuming you already have all these)

a 16oz box of penne=8 servings of pasta. cooked like this, It feeds my family of 6.
    Super easy, fast and really isn't that expensive.
    for as low as $7-$8 (I buy my cheeses in bulk bags and freeze them so its actually cheaper)
    Zayah5

Answer by Zayah5 at 1:31 AM on May. 19, 2011

• spaghetti with marinara - I always buy the ingredients for this when they are on super sale.
    pampire

Answer by pampire at 1:50 AM on May. 19, 2011

• White rice, beans, and fried eggs. That's super Puerto Rican lol
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Any breakfast using eggs for protein instead of meat. Spaghetti with homemade sauce (I grow most of the ingredients in my garden, so it's nearly free for a huge batch, so adding a little meat doesn't break the bank).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I buy a bag of chinese stir fry with veggies and chicken in it for 6 bucks, 1 package of speghetti noodles for $1 and a thing of fresh green onions for 70 cents. I take that home and boil the noodles, and saute stir fry. When the noodles are done I drain them. I add seseme seed oil, butter, soy sauce, and green onions (about 8 individual onions worth) let heat then add noodles to that. season noodles with garlic powder. plate noodles and put stir fry on top. dinner for 5 for $8.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 9:51 AM on May. 19, 2011